• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Physics (bouncing balls)

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• If I put a ball at the start of a scene, it drops and bounces properly. That tells me the physics and gravity settings are fine.
  • If I make the puppet appear after the start of a scene (trim the left edge of the puppet bar in the scene window), the ball appears at the right time, but it does not drop - it stays stuck at its original position.

• If I add a trigger to the puppet and make the physics as "start when triggered", triggering the puppet makes it appear but it just sits there again, not falling
  • If I arm/disarm the ball puppet in the scene in edit mode, it starts dropping

Am I doing something wrong here?  Feels like the "reset ball" or "start physics moving" is not quite right.

I worked around it - I split the scene in two so the ball starts dropping at the start of the second scene (all is good then) - but was wondering if there is something obvious I am missing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Okay, see if this is the way you want it to work. I just dragged the puppet to the right midway thru the recording.

Bouncy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed this post, so you may have found an answer. I tried to duplicate your issue, but, if I understand, do not get what you described. Here's what I see

Edit: Hmm, my screen cap didn't work. I'll do a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I am still having the problem, but if it works for you I will try re-creating the scene in case something got messed up internally. If it works for you it is not a generic Character Animator bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, see if this is the way you want it to work. I just dragged the puppet to the right midway thru the recording.

Bouncy.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I wanted, but not what was happening. (I can’t try it out again until I get home from work however.)

Hmm, one difference is my ball started off the top of the screen, outside the field of view. (I can see it there by zooming out on the scene view - it is not visible before the trim point, it is visible after the trim point.) The scene was a puppet throwing the ball over his head (backwards) so it disappeared off the top of the screen, then fell back to the ground in the background. I used draggers to throw a first ball up (to sync it with the hand movement of the puppet), then wanted to have a second ball (scaled smaller for a feeling of depth) fall back to the ground several seconds into the scene with it bouncing away to the side. (The physics support makes the bounces look SO MUCH more natural than using a dragger.)

Note also, I had another problem with multiple copies of the same ball puppet in a scene. In 1.5 one dropped but others did not. Maybe its not physics, but rather having the same puppet twice in a scene? I need to go back and try a few more combinations. My memory is getting a bit hazy what combinations I tried out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to mark this as solved.  What I did this time was create two different puppets for the soccer balls - one without the Collide and Dynamic tags, the other with. When I retried using that approach, it all works.  I cannot repeat the problem now, so I am going to shrug and move on.  (I am wondering if I was bumping into the problem where dynamic objects do not follow the play head during scrubbing, and the ball kept disappearing off the scene without me noticing.)

Thanks Jerry for trying to repeat the problem!  I am guessing by having the same puppet twice something was getting confused with tags on/off at different times. But I put it all back into one scene and its working fine now.

Baffled, but that isn't the first time and probably won't be the last!

2-1-10 sam last ball_2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks good. I like your gym.

Yeah, I'm finding that using the same puppet twice in a scene causes problems. I haven't spent the time yet to pin down the exact issues. I've just been using a duplicate psd.

But one thing I like about issues, they provide a great learning experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines