• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet Abilities Preview?

Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to the home page and see available puppets, or if I open Puppet Maker to start customizing a puppet, I have no idea whatsoever what the puppet's behaviors are. Can it do a 1/4 head turn? Can it perform in profile (side view), so that two puppets can talk to each other? Can it nod up and down? Can it breathe? Etc. I work for a non-profit organization that creates videos for people with developmental, visual, motor disabilities, etc., and we need a customizable 3D puppet that can do all of the above. (Except "breathing" isn't all that important.)

The only way you can get the answer to these questions is AFTER you start a scene, import the puppet, and select the puppet to look at the behaviors. Some of the puppets allow you to go into rigging and set up a behavior I am looking for, some do not.

I would like a behavior preview available, perhaps by right-clicking the puppet's thumbnail? It needs to show two categories: [1] What can the puppet do without going into Rigging, and [2] What behaviors in Rigging are/are not available for this puppet?

Thank you for any consideration.

TOPICS
Feature requests , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

At the very bottom are all of the replays associated with the puppet which you can try without generating a puppet. Not many of the puppet maker puppets have turns, but you can always use transform scale x to flip a puppet so that two puppets in 3/4 view can appear to be facing each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you require more functionality from your puppet it may be worth looking at 3rd party sellers. We sell a number of puppets that have more advanced behaviours like walk and replays. Our puppets have been used as teaching puppets in high schools and universities as well as by televison networks, marketing and advertising companies.

https://www.electropuppet.com/

You can also download free versions to try out before you purchase anything. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response, ElectroPuppet. Unfortunately, I need 3D puppets that can at least do a 45 degree turn, so two puppets can be talking to each other. ElectroPuppet has a half dozen clay-mation puppets, but they are all front-facing.

I have added the ElectroPuppet website to a list of Character Animator resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually many of our puppet families have various head and body views. The 'Toon Loons' can face 3/4 left and right and have head turner. We are about to release reverse views for them too, so over the shoulder conversations can be created. Grab the Yoyo puppet for free right now;
https://www.electropuppet.com/downloads/yoyo/

The 'Flat Pack' have front and 3/4 facing bodies and head turner.

So there are a lot more options than just front facing puppets!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always make suggestions at this link: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911317-character-animator Also, when using the Puppet-Maker feature, you can take a puppet through all of its paces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless there is some trick I don't know about, you cannot "take a puppet through all of its paces" until AFTER you click Generate, which means it is the same thing as picking a puppet with mystery behaviors from the Home page.

I posted my request at the URL you provided. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very bottom are all of the replays associated with the puppet which you can try without generating a puppet. Not many of the puppet maker puppets have turns, but you can always use transform scale x to flip a puppet so that two puppets in 3/4 view can appear to be facing each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't aware that the Play area of Puppet Maker was a complete list of possible behaviors. For example, you can go into Rig and set up auto-blink, breathing, and physics on some puppets. I have spent hours fiddling around in Rigging--and can see the new behavior panel on the Record page--only to discover that the selected puppet can't do what I set up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the late response, but I just tried the Scale X idea (set to -100), and it worked like a charm.

Thank you for this tip, which I will used regularly from now on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines