• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet acts weird when breathing

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to make my character breath, it looks like he is bouncing. His body just seems to extend vertically...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Making puppet element that is supposed to breathe independent usually solves a lot of problems. I am presuming that you want just the torso to breathe, but the torso is not independent in your screen cap.

Look at the Bongo puppet, where only the belly/chest breathes

BongoBreathe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide details or screenshots of puppet structure and handles etc? Maybe a video or animated gif showing the issue?

It sounds like a mix of fixed points, maybe drafted,  and breathe points not working well together. But it’s hard to make any suggestions without more info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I put some screenshots and a video down here. Problem is that I can't use fixed points on his feet because he will have to move his feet during the animation... So I am not quit sure if that is the problem, but as you can see in the video his body just seems to become longer. The breathing does not look natural...

Sorry if I am asking an obvious question, I just can't figure it out.

Link to video: http://jmp.sh/v/WW3qT7Mxg9Pi1kyDIr3Z

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 12.00.46.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-27 at 12.01.05.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-27 at 12.01.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for screen shot!  If someone jumps on who has used breathe, listen to them over me! ;-). But here is a suggestion in case useful.

I don’t have access to a computer for a while, but “Adobe Character Animator Help | Control puppets using behaviors - This behavior scales the chest of a character as if it were breathing in and out. For example, try animating the Wendigo puppet in the Start workspace, which shows breathing and head turn movements.”  So it sounds like you really want a separate layer to represent the chest.

I also noticed you moved the origin point up above the breathe point. Normally the advice is to make the origin around the belly button. Not sure if the scaling is relative to the origin, in which case having breathe below origin *might* cause funny results. I would hope breathing scales around the breath point, in which case it should be in the center of the chest. But if it scales the whole layer, then you need to put the part you want to scale into a separate layer so only that part scales, otherwise CH would think everything outlined in yellow is “the chest”, so the head I assume would scale as well.

If you turn the mesh on in the scene window (little button at bottom of scene window), it will show the yellow mesh While animating. You might try turning that one and exaggerating the breath settings to better see what it is actually doing.

But I am not a breathe expert - just some suggestions. The screenshot was perfect however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making puppet element that is supposed to breathe independent usually solves a lot of problems. I am presuming that you want just the torso to breathe, but the torso is not independent in your screen cap.

Look at the Bongo puppet, where only the belly/chest breathes

BongoBreathe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was indeed the problem I had! Thank you!

I made the torso independent and now the breathing looks natural

The only thing now is that, if I want to connect the arms origin to the torso, I can't...

Is it impossible to connect independent layers to each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Independent layers connect to parents. So what you may want is to keep a copy of the old torso behind the new independent layer torso as part of the old parent group (skinnyed down a bit so you cannot see it behind you new breathe independent layer torso). You can then attach arms to that.

i think of it kinda like having a connected skeleton beneath all the clothes and moving body parts on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it works! Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines