• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet keeps glitching/jumping on face record

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to record puppet facial expressions the whole puppet keeps jumping between the position where my face is and the position somewhere between my face and the original position.

Example here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11CwAeL4fq1_yQPIrUCuvwBj7l90Vx0i2/

I can't seem to find any solution to my problem. Has somebody have similar kind of problem?

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen with other puppets? (If so, maybe check your lighting)

Can you share a screenshot of your rigging hierarchy?

If you record with everything on, does it still jump like that? Does the playback of the recording also jump? If you look at the recording, can you see if smile or similar triggers are occurring when it jumps back ? The start deleting bits of the recording to isolate which one it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried with some of the demo puppets. Didn't happen with them.

Added a screenshot with my rigging.

Happens even with recording everything on. 

If I check frames one-by-one after recording everything seems ok, but if i play the recording or export it to video / drop it to premiere everything is still jumping as in the example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird! So no profiles to worry about. Fairly standard looking hierarchy...

What I personally do next is export the puppet, import it into a clean empty project, then start deleting sections of the puppet and behaviors in the rigging panel and retest (I don't touch the artwork, just delete things from the rigging hierarchy in CH). Delete, retest, delete, retest, delete, retest... Then when the problem goes away I undo then work out what I just deleted. E.g. is there a behavior causing it? Or a particular layer (and if so, what tags are on that layer).  In this case, I would personally start with behaviors on the root of the puppet then other layers of the puppet. A fun one I failed to find recently was someone had put a cycle layers on the root of the puppet by accident for example. Looking for accidental extra behaviors can be fruitful - e.g. are there two Face behaviors with different Head strengths fighting over things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, there was an organge "dragger" in the trigger panel? That might be worth checking too. E.g. is there a cycle layers with a dragger handle on one of the layers, causing the dragger to kick in only every second frame, so it averages between full and half strength of the moment. Weird stuff like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your thoughts. I tried deleting layers so only one layer was left and the problem persisted. Deleted orange dragger and all the other triggers, still nothing.

One more thing I noticed. In preview mode when I tilt my head, the head slowly turns back straight although i keep my head tilted, as somekind of "if tracking lost return to rest" was selected. But Face panel doesn't have this setting...

And one more thing to keep in mind is that the jumping/clitching shown in the video doesn't happen in preview mode (only slow return to rest for the face).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try deleting behaviors on the puppet root as well?

Last resort - can you share your puppet for others to try? (I cannot promise when I can get to it if you want to DM privately.) Export as puppet via menus, upload to Google Drive / dropbox etc, then share a link here (or in a DM). See if it happens on someone else's machine as well.

There are other things you could check, like click on each layer to make sure the yellow outline looks "sensible", and the blue rectangle is also sensible (bounding box for yellow outline). Sometimes it spots a problem or weirdness.

But I am completely grasping at straws now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, alank!

I found out what caused the jumping/glitching. It was the walk>position keyframes. I changed one keyframe "Toggle hold keyframe" and the problem dissapeared.

Still haven't an idea why the head keeps turning itself slowly back to center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

glad you solved the first problem.

The second one sounds similar to hands that happen. I think the solution was to move handles and sticks a little further apart (or on different handles). Eg make sure head and neck tags are in different points - neck I put in middle of shoulder blades. If any sticks on head, try deleting them to see if one is the culprit then reposition it a bit. Or search forums for "slow twisting hands/wrists". People would drag arms, but the hand would twist slowly rather than move immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines