Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet update automatically

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I created a puppet. I use the same puppet on different projects. Is there a way to make a change on illustrator to the original puppet and to have the puppet on every project updated automatically?

I found a way by replacing the new .ai file in the "Gathered Media" folder but it has to be done for each project which can be time consumming.

Thank you in advance for your help

Gorgio

TOPICS
How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can think of, is if you don't export the finished puppet. Instead, when you build the puppet, make a copy of the Character Animator project folder and rename it something else (Puppet_01, Puppet_02). All those copies will then reference the orginal artwork. However, if you do any rigging changes, they will only be happen in the project you did those in. 

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it's just the artwork you want to update (and not the rigging), you can export the puppet from the first project, import to the second project, then select the puppet in the project panel and look over at the properties. The first property is the path name to the artwork file it is using. When you import the puppet, this will point to a gathered media directory. But you can just edit the property and point it to the original file again.

But this will not share rigging between projects, only the artwork file. There is no good way to share rigging that i know of. But I often found I did not want to. My puppets drift over time, so I just keep the puppet with that project. I create different scenes using the same puppet a lot. Different scenes in one project allows you to share the puppet easily between the scenes. I then start new projects when i don't want to share things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines