• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puppet waist, during walk cycle, is doing something odd.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on creating some puppets with Illustrator and CA. 

I recently watched this puppet walking video from Okay Samurai, and attempted to do this with some illustrator puppets I created.   

I noticed the waist on my puppet was larger than needed after watching the run & sneak styles. 

I opened the file in Illustrator, deleted some anchors on the waist shape, saved AI file, back to CA.

Now the waist looks like it is doing some odd behavior, but there are no behaviors added to the waist or body layer. 

The anchors at the bottom center of the waist stay in the same position, while the rest of the waist moves with the body in motion to the walk styles. 

Link of video to showcase my issue

Any suggestions, insights, recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you! 

TOPICS
Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Access to video denied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. 

Hope this upload works. 

Please let me know if there is a better way to share information to better understand the problem.

Still a newbie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, we can't access the link. If you're able to post the actual .puppet file, it will be easier to debug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I post the .puppet file? Drag & drop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to use a file sharing site like drop box or Google drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

First time saving a .puppet file

I made a copy of the puppet in the project panel. 

Thank you for taking the time to look into these issues. 

I have another question referring to the puppet copy.

I made the copy puppet in the link to edit so I could use more than 1 in a scene, since this puppet includes frontal, left quarter, and right quarter. 

My intention is to duplicate this puppet 3 times - a puppet to only walk left or right, to make the puppet capable of walking backwards in both directions, and a frontal fixed puppet. I am considering creating 2 other frontal fixed puppets with each quarter view.

The question is, if I am going to delete a quarter facing side from the 3 sided puppet that has been duplicated in the CA project panel, do I remove the unwanted layers in CA or Illustrator? 

I opened the duplicate puppet with the AI button on the project panel in CA, but it opened the same AI file as the original puppet, making this option feel like a dangerous approach. 

Any guidance, suggestions, or insights on this issue is appreciated. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the original AI file and save a copy under a new name., then open the new puppet and direct link to new the file.you should have unique AI file for each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different levels of copying etc that is useful to understand.

• There is the artwork
  • There are "puppets" in the project panel that point to artwork (via the Path property)
  • There are instances of puppets in a scene's Timeline

What does this mean?

• You can put multiple copies of the same puppet in a timeline. They share the same definition, but recordings of movements etc are stored per copy.
  • You can have multiple puppet definitions pointing to the same artwork file. If you delete bits from the rigging of the puppet (e.g. profiles) you can have a custom puppet sharing the artwork, but using different parts
  • You can copy the rigging AND artwork to have separate copies of them.

Some tips for the last one. If you duplicate a puppet, it creates a new rigging hierarchy in CH, but the Path property points to the same artwork file. Editing the artwork will impact both puppet definitions. If you duplicate the puppet in CH, then outside of CH make a copy of the artwork, you can update the Path property of the puppet to point to the copy.

Personally, I don't share artwork between puppets because I forget sometimes when coming back to a project later. So I always make copies of the artwork and rigging. To do that, I export the puppet using the menus and import it again. That guarantees to make a copy of the puppet and artwork automatically (and creates a backup in case I stuff things up). I do it this way from habit as I make less errors (!!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this is really helpful. 

For summary: Rather than duplicating the .ai file, duplicate the puppet in CA project panel ~> export the puppet (File, Export, Puppet...) ~> open the duplicate .puppet file in CA to make the desired edits without affecting the original puppet.

Hope I followed correctly. Thank you alank99101739.

I hope to find an answer about the waist issue with my character after uploading the .puppet file. Thank you for the support thus far Adobe community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I understand what you mean, yes. That is, you can

EITHER duplicate the puppet in CH and make  a copy of the .ai file AND update the copy of the puppet Path property to refer to the new .ai file 

OR you can. use Export Puppet from the menu to create a .puppet file, then Import that .puppet file back into CH. This will create a separate puppet and create a separate file (in the "Gathered Media" directory of the project, if you look at the Path property of the puppet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines