• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quadruped Animal

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I go about rigging a quadruped animal on charactor animator? I’ve only watched characters with two arms and two legs tutorials.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

I've done some animal puppets. It takes a lot of playing around with the rigging to get something useful. Here are a couple examples, that can still use more work

HorseSteers.gif Ostrich.gif

For the horse and steers, I used a separate rear body and front body. For the ostrich, to get the backward knee bend of birds, I tagged the legs with elbows instead of knees.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[The following is just suggestions - I have not tried to do it.]  Are you trying to use the automatic walk behaviors? Or just going to use draggers? If just draggers, I don't think it is any different than two legged - Character Animator will just move the draggers around as you ask - put one on each leg and start dragging! If you are trying to use the walk behavior, I think I recall reading somewhere suggesting putting two walk behaviors (one for front legs, one for rear).  Character Animator I don't think cares about the shape of the body - it just knows to move feet relative to the waist etc when walking. The actual shape of the puppet can be anything you like. That is, in the artwork maybe trying grouping the front legs under a common parent that you mark as a waist with a "walk" behavior added, then group the rear legs is a separate group doing the same thing. As long as both are armed at the same time, I think they will both get keyboard commands etc when you want them to move.  (But I have never tried it.)  The other thing you could try is one walk behavior, but mark multiple handles with the same tag - so there are two left feet, to right feet, etc. Hopefully it will move both feet in sync then without having two walk behaviors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some animal puppets. It takes a lot of playing around with the rigging to get something useful. Here are a couple examples, that can still use more work

HorseSteers.gif Ostrich.gif

For the horse and steers, I used a separate rear body and front body. For the ostrich, to get the backward knee bend of birds, I tagged the legs with elbows instead of knees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I especially love the ostrich!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! I will try that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi KJerryK,

Just tried to do this last night but haven't been as successful as you yet.

Question, when you said you used a separate rear and front body, do you mean you had 2 bodies in the same Puppet?

Sorry I'm a little confused.

Thanks

so far this is my attempt, 

https://youtu.be/GLtIUTnB5yg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines