• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rig breaks on one side after mirroring PS layers

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a rig that works perfectly for Right back, Right Profile, and Right Quarter... then mirrored the layers in photoshop and renamed right->left and left->right so everything is correct.

The Left back works fine, but in Left Quarter and Left Profile, everything works fine except for ONE thing.  The arms and the long hair pulls away from the body like they're not attached.

I've checked everything, to no avail.  I've rigged a dozen other characters this way, and haven't had this issue unless there were extra tags (something was mis-tagged

as "head" or something).  But, this rig has no such issues.

I feel like something is tagging the photoshop layers that I can't seem to clean out of the file, because I even went so far as to delete all the LEFT rigging from the CA file, then delete all the LEFT layers in the PS file, then rebuild it all from scratch, and I ended up with the same exact issue. 

Here's a video of what it's doing -- Dropbox - RigIssues.mp4

Happy to hear anyone's thoughts.

-Will

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Updating to CC2019 fixed the issue for me. It look like your video is in 1.5? Might have been some weird bug in the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice artwork!

On the surface everything looks fine in your video. I don't mind playing with the puppet if you want to DM me a link to a puppet export, just to have another set of eyes look at it.

Have you tried turning on the yellow mesh? Sometimes it can identify the source of the problem, to help narrow the search area.

The thing that caught my eye was the hair seems to be attached to the back/shoulders. At 36 seconds into your video I notice the following

A few frames later...

So I see how you said the arm and hair are not moving. Could there be a stray pin on the shoulder pad that has pinned to the hair somehow, overriding the attachment of the hair to the head?

I tried superimposing the two images - not very clear, but just seems to confirm what you are saying - the arm and hair are not moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I could take credit for the art.  Alas, cannot.

The hair is in the body group, but it's independent, and attaches (auto, but also tried <body>) to the base of the head.  There's a dangle control at the end of the hair.  It's exactly the same on the Right Quarter as the Left Quarter... but, only works on the Right. 

No stray pins or tags, looked all over for that.

Turned on the mesh to see if there was something floating around, but nothing there either.

It only feels like the origin point where it attaches isn't being respected for some reason. 

-Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally at that point of hair pulling out make a copy of the puppet and start deleting things from the puppet (checking everything still works at each step) - e.g. delete all the other profiles, delete the legs, etc. Sometimes after deleting a layer it starts working, which gives me a hint of where to look.

I always do that on a copy of the puppet!! That is, export the puppet and reimport it again - it creates a separate copy of the files that way.

If you are able to export the puppet I don't mind having a look as well - but everything you say makes sense and is consistent with the video. Everything looks fine. It will be something unexpected like a stray tag - with a chance its a bug. More often I have found stray pins or tags just got CH confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird.  Gave that a try.  Deleted everything except the Left Quarter from the rig, then deleted same from the PS file.  Still doesn't work.  Even deleted all the triggers, just in case... nothing changed.  Just doesn't like hooking those layers together at the point I've selected even though it turns green and acts like it's working.

Lemme get permission to share the puppet before I send it all over the place.  Thanks for the effort.

-Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey  willn35880056 - Given the complexity of the puppet, yeah, if you can DM me the File > Export > Puppet file I'll try to take a closer look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updating to CC2019 fixed the issue for me. It look like your video is in 1.5? Might have been some weird bug in the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines