Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

South Park Style Animation Tips & Tricks Help in CH

Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear brothers in arms of animation warfare, especially on Youtube,

I would like to know how to mimick that choppy stop motion animation style of South Park, which are:

The head movement when the character is speaking

&

The entire puppet movement when the character is walking

Please share your tips, tricks & hacks.

A video would be very great and muchly appreciated!

Sorry for my bad english.

Sincerely,

Ben

Title edited by Mod

TOPICS
Feature requests , How to , Puppet movement , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

That's an interesting question. I searched an found there are many online tutorials available for the South Park animation.

Here's an example: South Park Animation Style Tutorial 

Let us know if it helps. I'll keep searching if there is more information related to Character Animator with this.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I watched that video! And there comes another question:

I noticed there are lines between the arms and the body (to distinguish the arms from the body) when the arms are resting at "A" position. When the arms move, thus not overlapping the body, the lines will disappear (unlike outline which will always follow), and if the arms overlap the body, the line will be there to distinguish the arms from the body again (even when not in the "A" rest position, like when doing hand movements, the lines are still there every time the arms overlap the body). Do you know how to make the same effect in Character Animator?

That video explains how it's made in After Effects (Not CH), using something called Alpha Matte I guess?

Do you know how to make that same effect in CH?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Best I can think of would be to add a transform behavior to the Head, then create 20 secs of different head x/y offset numbers each frame. Maybe slight rotation as well. Painful. But then record it as a replay with trigger. After that a single key press will make the head jitter - just use the trigger when talking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to make the backhair pivot from the same position as the head and then I copied the keyframes applied to the head to the back hair, thus creating the illusion:)

P. S.

Sorry, this reply actually for your comment in another post of mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started out thinking "South Park" style since I can't draw...but its morphed into its own similar style due to some CH tricks. I still am not a fan of the walk function though.

https://www.facebook.com/shooterstache/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree! South Park Animation is very simple actually!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. I found an old video on layer picker driven from audio levels. I am not sure it is really useful, but it reminded me of this thread. Watch through to the second half where I get audio going. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4O2O4e3cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines