Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Squishy Eyeballs

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 10.34.33 PM.png

I'm new to Character Animator so this is my first puppet.  I've started with the blank.ai file and modified it to what you see above.  I'm not sure what went wrong with the eyes but they are normally eliptical and squish and contort when the pupils move.  I've tried resetting the eyes and re-rigging them with no success.  I've also changed them from elipses to circles and that doesn't fix the issue. Do you have any suggestions for what to try next?  

(I tried to post the AI file but keep getting the error "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type.)

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a picture of yor rigging? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted photos of the rigging.  Also, I've uploaded my puppet to this web location: http://writersbrick.org/puppets/harmyeyes.puppet 

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 3.14.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-20 at 3.13.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say that I don't see the problem. I don't see your hair in the hierarchy. Is it pulling on the eyes? It should be tagged as independent if you've got any dangles in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WritersBrick,

Have you tried turning on the mesh view? You will find it just below the puppet rigging window. These issues are usually related to the mesh not fitting the puppet shape. This is often caused because you have something like a reference image in your source file. Even though it is hidden, it still contributes to Character Animators understanding of the puppet dimensions.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the puppet. That helped a lot. Your problem is the tags are not correct - you have them duplicated in spots, wrong layers, on handles instead of the origin etc. For example, if you put something on a handle rather than the origin, it moves that handle within the layer, rather than moving the layer.

Have a look at the property panel for Eye Gaze:

image.png

If you look at Left Eye for example, it should say "origin" at the end of the path. This is because you put a handle in the Left Eye layer and it got tagged and used. You want the end of the path to say "origin" indicating it has bound to the layer origin (so it will move the whole layer, not a point within the layer).

There are also some other unusual tags on layers. I would go through each layer, removing handles (I have never needed/wanted them for eyes), then double check the layer tags. E.g. you might want Pupil Range tags added to eyeball layers (to control how far the pupil moves).

This might also be useful: https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/04/21/debugging-character-animator-eyess/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is an example of an error. They eyeball layer has a Left Eye tag on it. These extra tags can get CH confused.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines