• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Transform (Puppet) > Position X numbers are not absolute?

Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying very hard to make a short video, and run into a road block every 10 minutes or so.

I want my puppet to start in the lower left. Period. No matter what I do later in the timeline.

So, I set the Transform > X Position to -748.

Then, I change controls later in the timeline (such as futiley trying to get position-based walking to work).

After that, I set the playhead all the way to the left and click the Reset icon.

Periodically the puppet shifts an inch to two away from the left, even though the X Position still says -748.

So, I manually reset the puppet to the left, which then indicates the puppet is now -940.

So, the X and Y coordinates do not appear to be absolute. -748 for one playthrough becomes -940 for the second playthrough, even though I never changed the Position X keyframes.

Can anyone explain what is happening?

Thanks!

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

I created a step-by-step tutorial that explains position based walking;

https://www.electropuppet.com/setting-your-puppet-to-walk/

Hopefully that will help explain that. There are free puppets on the site that you can use to follow along if you would prefer to have a similar built puppet to the one I demonstrate with.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're running into issues with Walk. The Walk behavior is a simulation similar to Physics, so the effects aren't backed into your timeline, they're simulated when you scrub or playback. So your character might seem like they're jumping around. I would imagine if you removed Walk this won't be a problem anymore.

Even so, Walk will not affect the X and Y Transform values, it's completely separate - so if I try the Eliza example from your other thread and do psotion based walking with her, my Transform X/Y positions are still always 0. My guess is there is a rogue keyframe or trigger or something somewhere causing issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could never figure out position-based walking. I watched at least 4 videos on YouTube about walking, and none of them explained position-based walking so that a Ch novice could do it. I needed a step-by-step process, with nothing assumed. As far as I can tell, there aren't any instructions at that level of detail on the Internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a step-by-step tutorial that explains position based walking;

https://www.electropuppet.com/setting-your-puppet-to-walk/

Hopefully that will help explain that. There are free puppets on the site that you can use to follow along if you would prefer to have a similar built puppet to the one I demonstrate with.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your time and effort! I marked that as the correct answer. I will retain a link to your directions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines