Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform/Position Keyframes as Part of Replay

Engaged ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've created a replay for my puppet to spin, using a combination of body swaps and the dragger tool. It works fine, however, I'd really like it to do a sort of jump mid-turn. I armed the position Y and made the appropriate changes, but when I try to make a replay with all the draggers, swaps, and transform keyframes, it ignores the transform keyframes. I seem to be able to make a separate replay with just the transform keyframes, but not the rest of the motion. Is it not possible to combine the two? Or am I doing something wrong?

Here's what it looks like now (I had selected the keyframes too, but they got "unhighlighted" after the replay was made):

RaizelDesign_0-1644519029017.png

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bugs , How to , Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

I recorded the position keyframes separately and set the replay for that with the same trigger key, and so far so good, they seem to be playing nicely together. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally only one behavior can control a layer - so if the dragger and Transform are on the same layer, it might be only one wins. Sometimes if you have a nested layer you can have one behavior control the outer layer, and one on the inner one (e.g. put drag handles on outer layer and Transform behavior on inner), but its not guaranteed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the same newbie you helped with a disappearing sad mouth a week or two ago 🙂 so I'm not sure what you mean by nested layers. I tried moving the keyframes to go above the dragger handles but animator wouldn't let me adjust the layer order. If I can't combine position and dragger/swap into one replay, is it possible to have two replays going at once? I'm going to need this same position transform every time I run this replay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PSD/Illustrator file you have layers called Body, Head, Mouth etc. Its what you see in the rigging hierarchy. The grouping / nesting of layers is important for Ch. So if you have a layer (e.g. "Left Hand") but you want two things to control it, then there are tricks you can do. You can put Left Hand inside another group (so you have something like

Left Hand for Dragger

- Left Hand for Transform

- - left hand artwork

The extra level of grouping / nesting serves no purpose other than so you can attach different behaviors to them. And I don't recall if it works for draggers and Transform (sorry, at work, not at computer with software to try it - but it happens in other cases).

Replays just remember what you told it to do - sort of like a smart copy and paste. They don't add any other smart semantics. So using replays are convenient, but I don't think will fix this sort of problem. And yes, I think you can have multiple replays going at once - if they tackle different behaviors it should be fine. If they hit the same behavior, I expect one to win over the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it thanks! I've already got the layers nested in multiple body views so I don't think that will change it in this case. I'll try making a separate replay for position and see how that goes. Maybe I can set it to the same trigger key... G-d willing, I'll try it out and let you know after Saturday. Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recorded the position keyframes separately and set the replay for that with the same trigger key, and so far so good, they seem to be playing nicely together. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines