• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two part arms

Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rigged my arms into two sections, above the elbow, and below the elbow. However, when I rewatched the tutorial I learned that the standard method is to have the arm be one image, and have that image bend from within character animator.

Is there away, either in the current version or the next big update, to have two-part arms that are dragable from the hands? (I just don't like the lack of control I have over how the elbow looks in the current method.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

I think there's a way with stapling and hinging parts together - I saw someone do it with a paper doll style puppet before - but truth be told it's not going to be a full inverse kinematics system (yet) like I think you're going for. For CH's current limitations I'd say having one arm with two draggables (in the hand and elbow) is the best way to go for better control (at least for recorded pieces).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there's a way with stapling and hinging parts together - I saw someone do it with a paper doll style puppet before - but truth be told it's not going to be a full inverse kinematics system (yet) like I think you're going for. For CH's current limitations I'd say having one arm with two draggables (in the hand and elbow) is the best way to go for better control (at least for recorded pieces).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I thought I'd have to do. It will be frustrating when I know the distance I want the character to reach, but not the required angles to get there, but I guess I'll just wait for the next update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wanting two part arms as well. Has this had any updates since this was posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inverse kinematics has come a long way since this was posted. You can add it to arms, legs or both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But can you have an arm with a separate upper and lower section with a hinge in the middle? So far I have only seen rubber hose style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think IK can handle segmented arms yet (by which I mean, drag the hand and IK will work out elbow movements for you) - so you still have to drag the elbow and the hand to animate it. BUT! The recent full body tracking support *does* track the elbows and hands, so segmented arms with full body tracking might be a workable solution if really needed.

The other approach that can help is to group the upper and lower arms separately (fill and outline) with a bit of overlap, with sticks right up to the joint. Sometimes you can get it close enough to looking segmented even though it really is a rubber hose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the stick tool to prevent rubber hose action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah , it's not doing what I want. I want two rigid arm segments with a pivot hinge in the middle, no pixel warping at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People who do two segment arms normally have Body with a nested independent Arm group, then inside the Arm group is another nested independent LowerArm group. The nesting is needed for the lower arm to attach to the upper arm, and the upper arm to the body.

The problem is if you drag the wrist, it will not drag the elbow as the wrist is in a nested indepdnent lower arm group. If you record a dragging event for the elbow in one pass, then the wrist in a second pass, you can record the arms (but its a pain). If you use upper body tracking with the webcam, it can control both the elbow AND the wrist at the same time, which does work. But you don't get the precision of mouse movements to control hand positions etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not good at English so I may not understand the conversation correctly.

If you are hoping to bend the elbow at a sharp angle, is this something you would like to do?
Do you mean that you want the elbows to be connected with a hinge connection instead of a welded connection?
Please see the attached sample video.

If so, the video with Japanese explanation is helpful.

https://youtu.be/yCKxTdkqxys

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The example at the start of you video looks good. I will have to spend some time studying it to see how you did it though ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines