Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Walking doesn't work for me. Right profile view does not work

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I was making my character and came across the following problem:

Under the puppet in "Rig" I have two groups. One group is called "Right Profile" and the other group is called "Left Profile". I have mirrored positions of the character, one looking right and one looking left. Under the walking behavior that I set in the top most layer that the two groups are below: I set the walking behavior to Left & Right arrow keys.

Under "views" there is just "Left Profile" that is showing up. When I try to walk my puppet, only the Left Profile will walk and it will show both the Left and Right Profile view on top of each other.

Thanks for your help in advanced. 🙂

TOPICS
Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screenshot of the rigging? (I would look for spelling errors in layer names.) 

Since you know its the right profile not working, I would look at what tags are on the Left Profile and Right Profile layers. I expect you will find there is a Left Profile tag but no Right Profile tag (or at least not in the correct spot).

That there is only Left Profile under views is the problem to fix. It cannot walk right without a right profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is two screenshots showing my rig:

Rig.png

I hope this helps. My work somehow reset when I tried to re-arrange the layers in Photoshop. "Left Profile" used to be under the group "Right Profile". I changed it since I hoped it would fix things but it didn't and lost my walking work. However, I want to try and get this switching of Profile Views to work first before I go into the effort of fixing my walking cycle again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can jump in here - as I've just spent several weeks making a whole set of puppets that have front, 3/4 and walk views (The Flat Pack)

You need to have your puppet name at the top level. Then your "Left Profile" and "Right Profile" views.

So your structure should look like;

+Puppet Name
   +Left Profile
   +Front View
   +Right Profile

Also - note the layer independence. I suspect you need to add the crown to your Left and Right profiles. Also, you don't seem to have both arms. You need a left arm in your right profile and a right arm in your left profile. If Character Animator can't find all the required handles (elbows, wrists, shoulders etc.) it won’t work.

Let us know if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think you need another layer above your profiles as smidio said. I thought the front profile was recommended to be the first child however - walk does not use the Frontal tag, so it was recommended to have the front profile first, followed by left/right profiles (which are tagged and hidden by default).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I can make the puppet move left and right. Now the problem is whenever it stops moving it disappears.

anotherProblem.png

Alsok, is there a way I can edit the layer orders and make new layers without it erasing all the rigging information? This happened to me before and I am nervous to even rearrange the order of my layers. (I use photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well done! I'd expect it to disappear with your current setup. Character Animator will turn on left or right profile when it uses the walk behaviour. Otherwise it will default to your front view - which you currently don't have.

When I call it a front view, it is just the default view that can contain a front view, a 3/4 view, a side view, a back view etc. You can put them all in there. The 'Flat Pack' puppets I recently created have a front view, as well as left and right 3/4 views. I also have them all using head turner in each view (so a bit more complicated).

And yes - if you rename your puppet, or the 'layer' you will lose all the rigging information. I think you will also lose that data if you switch independence (the little crown) on and off. It's just part of the process, so don't get too nervous about having to start over. You also have the history where you can roll back to earlier work, as well as a do incremental saves. So you can always go back.

You should really be creating your 'layers' or 'folders' in photoshop or illustrator and naming them there. Not sure of your process at the moment regarding that?

Anyway, hope I have been of some help. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines