Exit

White to Alpha?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In. the tutorial Characterizer (Adobe Character Animator Tutorial),

there is footage of the black and white sketch puppet overlaid on lined paper.  Only the sketched lines of the puppet are visable with the bg paper showing through the blank areas.

Can anyone tell me how this was achived ?

thanks

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, create a layer and draw with a black brush. Delete the background so you see the checkboard. Anywhere you see checkerboard, it will be transparent. You can place another lined-paper layer behind your drawing layers and it will show through. You can do this in PS, or in Ch itself (in that case the background is effectively a separate puppet made from a lined-paper image, which you add to the scene behind your main puppet).

So the key is the alpha channel (i.e. per-pixel transparency), which happens automatically for PS layers. You just have to make sure you don't have a background layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 
  More questions please.  When i try to load my PS no bg file Chracterizer will not allow the file to be selected. Any thoughts?  
  When I attempt as a PNG it is only loading as a black blob.

Basically i have a sketched charcter and i am trying to replicate moving sketch look in your tutorial.  However i would like to be apble to switch out the backgrounds.  
  Sorry if these were questions seem rudimentary.

Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I missed that you are using Characterizer, so I was answering for Character Animator in general.

After you generate the puppet with Characterizer, you can just delete or eyeball-off the background in the puppet panel (double-click the puppet in the project panel to open the puppet panel), and then place any other background  behind it by importing the artwork and dropping it into the scene below the puppet. Or put multiple backgrounds back there and trigger them dynamically (e.g. you could import a PSD with 10 backgrounds and assign each one to a trigger in a swap set with a different key shortcuts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines