• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessing Access database with CF2018 and Windows server 2019

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am migrating my website from Windows server 2008 to Windows server 2019. I've got CF 2018. I cannot get it to connect with my MS Access database. Did all the ODCB entries. Registry has the correct information. When trying to make and verify the connection in CF admin, I get "java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]The specified data source is not defined". I found a website that said Windows 2016+ does not support SequeLink. I don't know if that is the problem. I just need to get CF2018 and my database connected. Any solutions?

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's put on the table first that MS Access has not been formally supported by CF since CF11. You can see that while it's listed in the "system support matrix" for CF11 (here), while it's no longer listed as a supported DB in the version of that document for CF2016 (here) or 2018 (here).

So you're pushing a rock up hill, in trying to keep it going (and of course many would decry anyone trying to use Access with CF still in 2019--and even someone trying to help folks wanting to do it).

But if you really are determined/compelled/feel required to get it to work, there were various solutions shared in this other thread on the topic, created in 2016 and updated into 2019, and multiple people reported particularly getting success from the steps shared by someone in this comment (with steps they got for Adobe, as a workaround).

FWIW (for future readers that may find this), as the title of that other thread indicated, those were for getting it running on 64 bit CF. There have been other discussions in the past on getting things working with 32-bit CF, but note that CF2018 no longer supports 32-bit (and bgbowling does refer here specifically to using CF2018).

If you do try this approach (in the other threads, from the 2016 era), let us know how it goes.

But again, folks, really: it's long past time to get off of Access, for use with a server like CF. Note that there are free alternatives like the Express edition of MS SQL Server (as well as MySQL, PostGres, and others), and tools to convert from Access to that.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option is also to use MS Access as a frontend and MS Sql Server or Azure Sql Database as a backend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is bgbowling replying back. (Adobe got confused and forced me to get another screen name). Anyway, thank you for replying. The hxtt driver worked, after a few tries, to get coldfusion connected with the database. However, coldfusion will not read the database. Nothing comes up when the db query is run. Any ideas?

Also, I am looking into other databases to see what is I can use. I have very little knowledge on other databases, so it may take some time to research. I do all my work in an Excel file, then import them into the Access db. Is there a similar db that can do that and one that coldfusion will accept? I'd appreciate any suggestions. In the mean time, I'd like to get the current db working.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you may be able to get the hxtt driver to work. As for it not returning results, I'm afraid I have not used that driver enough to readily offer suggestions. I think you may do better to open a new post, which may catch the attention of hxtt users. Or even folks who've not used it may chime in with thoughts.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I decided to try the Ucanaccess driver with instructions from this site: https://community.adobe.com/t5/coldfusion/cf16-and-access-datasource/td-p/9341326 and now everything works. Yea! I still intend to look at other database options, but for now I'm happy. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you got everything settled! But, like Charlie, I'd recommend getting away from MS Access because it's just not really very well supported - as you've already seen! You can use MySQL instead, which is very well supported by pretty much everybody, and there's an Excel to MySQL plugin available as part of the standard installer:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-for-excel/en/mysql-for-excel-install.html

MySQL is a simple, but powerful database that can be used for enterprise work as well as very simple things. It's commonly used by Drupal and WordPress among other things. So it's not going anywhere.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much. I will definately try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation