• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to use ColdFusion to add dynamic breadcrumbs to my site. Does anyone know what is the best way to do this?

For example, if I'm at www.mysite.com/about/privacy.cfm. I'd like to display

Home > About > Privacy Policy

at the top of the page.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this may help get you started:
http://www.cflib.org/udf.cfm?ID=1186

it is far from perfect, but it can give you an idea how to d it and you
can work from there

---
Azadi Saryev
Sabai-dee.com
http://www.sabai-dee.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

The "http://www.cflib.org/udf.cfm?ID=1186" is longer existed.

You know any other sources on how to build a breadcrum please?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the breadCrumbs() UDF on Archive.org and resurrected it (and updated it) as a gist here.
https://gist.github.com/JamoCA/6436ceb8f70eb50f83102da339ab9bfe
(NOTE: Due to Adobe Terms, I don't share CFML code on Adobe Forums anymore.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, do you have anyplace where you discuss your concern?

If not, I have looked at the terms of use at the bottom of this page, https://www.adobe.com/legal/terms.html, and I see nothing to suggest a concern. Indeed, it says, "1.5 Ownership. You (as a Business or an individual, as applicable) retain all rights and ownership of your Content. We do not claim any ownership rights to your Content"

Is there something else? 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, check out the vague language used in sections 4.2 and 4.5.

https://gist.github.com/JamoCA/b087a0c4951fa2e2a8e47054dedc0fd2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I'd think 1.5 trumps that, but to each their own. 🙂 

As for the gist talking about your comments in tracker being shown as from an "unknown user", I've seen that (there and with some very old blog comments). And I presumed it was simply being a data migration issue (where someone punted) rather than being nefarious. . Stupid maybe, on someone's part, or perhaps just a problem in the "too hard" pile.

But hey, if one wants to engage in conspiracy theories, when the old blogs.coldfusion.com was moved to the new coldfusion.adobe.com portal a few years ago, nearly all my past comments were lost...hundreds if not thousands over several years. (It's often very apparent, though many would never notice. I certainly did.) And I saw no one else's "lost in the shuffle". It was very dismaying, I can tell you, but nothing could be done. No backups to resort to, I was told. Again, stupid or somehow "too hard" to have done the migration right. I had to suck it up.

But my point is that I'd vastly prefer if the comments were there as "unknown user" vs gone entirely. 🙂 But I get your point. I'd just not see that unknown user thing in tracker to be of any evil intent--and certainly nothing  that I'd let keep me from sharing, there or here (just like the purge of my comments back then did not). But again, different strokes.

Interesting perhaps for some to hear how the sausage is made, though this is buried indeed in this 13 yr old thread! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Section 1.5 indicates that authors retain ownership, it's only works if they are responsible enough and capable of not deleting it or attributing it to "unknown". I'm not sure if my previous forum comments were lost.

I'm still sharing solutions and advice on Gist, Github and/or my own blog, just not directly on Adobe's platform where sections 4.2 & 4.5 provides Adobe with full legal rights.  Maybe they won't "own" it, but, by virtue of simply posting, they can "use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify, publicly perform, and translate"... as well as "make, use, sell, have made, offer to sell, import, export, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, modify, and publicly perform."  I'm not conspiratorial, but I highly prefer maintaining & sharing working code on a separate platform that has a better chance of surviving upcoming technical corporate and software shifts and isn't subject to their terms.  This approach also results in less trival forum noise when there's questions regarding code samples that I write and share. (This has already happened with the breadCrumbs UDF I shared with 5 messages being exchanged.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ooo-k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sarcasm? or skepticism?

My client base doesn't consist of anyone looking for help in the Adobe Community Forums. I lose both time and money discovering and working around buggy features that don't work as advertised.  I don't trust this forum as the primary place where I should post CFML-related content as I have zero faith that content will continue to be available in the future and properly credited to original authors.  When I share code, it will be on platforms I choose with terms that I agree with. Regardless of how you choose to interpret the terms, I hope you can respect that. (They've already fooled you once by deleting all your comments. My preference is to not to be fooled again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2008 Jan 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Is this using javascript? I'm wondering if it works if the user has javascript turned off. I've read that it's best not to javascript for that reason, so I was looking for a CF solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you even looked at it? it is pure cf.

---
Azadi Saryev
Sabai-dee.com
http://www.sabai-dee.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

natg504 - the user-defined function (UDF) is written in ColdFusion script. It looks a lot like javascript, but as Azadi says, it is pure ColdFusion and therefore processed on the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, jdeline. That is what I was asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your content generated from a database using a child/parent relationship?

For database hierarchies, we've used CF_BranchUp and CF_GetBranch custom tags.  These tags were both written by Michael Cannon-Brookes (from Atlassia / MikesBox.org) and were licensed under the GNU General Public License by Rob Bilson in 1998. I can't find them available anywhere online at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1998 - seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1998?  Sure, why not?  ColdFusion has been around since 1995.  I started development back in 1997 and still have an original web application or two still in production.

Regarding the code from 1989, the individual that wrote initial the tags is currently an Australian billionaire (according to Wikipedia)... so I'm guessing he wrote something useful that may have been used in his own business. I've since updated it to use arrays (rather than concatening a list) and to use query caching (with a QoQ), but other than that, the logic is primarily the same. I may get around to converting these to UDFs, but I have bigger priorities than rewriting a CFTag that has funcioned reliably since '98.

Here's the descriptions for the two (2) CFTags from 1998.

CF_branchUp: Using a database, list all of the nodes in a tree from the top to a given node, returning them in a list.

CF_GetBranch: Retrieve an entire branch of a parent-child type tree and return the node values as a list. Useful for retrieving the subfolders of a certain folder, threads of a certain message or any operations on the branch (such as deleting, moving or updating).

I believe I got these from the ColdFusion Marketplace back in the day where ColdFusion developers had an official place to market their libraries. Other places like CFWebStore and CFXtras existed, but something changed and many sellers of CF-related solutions disappeared. (Adobe appears to only remarket media made by graphic designers and photographers.) l couldn't find any solutions on ForgeBox or CFlib that offer similar functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1998?  Sure, why not?  

By @James Moberg

You yourself have come face to face with the biggest reason why not. There is a good chance the resources or web sites you refer to no longer exist.

That said, I agree with you that a good software solution can serve users for decades. In fact, if a piece of software has lasted so long, then it will have plenty to teach us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware that the solution I recommended doesn't exist in modern repositiories like CFLib or ForgeBox.  Not only does the very specific solution that I recommended not exist, I'm unable to find any variations of it either.  The solution was free and publicly available in 1989, but today it's difficult as most CF-related sites and blogs have silently disppeared (or haven't been updated in a very long time).  As a result of this experience, if I see something interesting regarding CFML, I tend to archive an offline copy of it so that I can continue to access the information after it's gone.  (New developers to CFML may not have this luxury as much of it is already offline.)

I'm glad that I had access to this free CFML code back in '98.  There were a lot more choices available back then with many developers blogging and even selling their code online. Some solutions were full-blown CFML modules that you could add to your existing app (forums, chat, etc).  I'm not saying that they were all "good" choices (some didn't age well due to Flash, 32bit CFX or lots of XSS vulnerabilities), but it wasn't as difficult as it seems now to locate downloadable mini-projects or find proof-of-concept code.  I think I currently only follow 2-3 people on social media that actively blog about the CFML that they write.  Everything else I see in my RSS feeds consists of questions from from Lucee forums, StackOverflow or ColdFusion Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation