Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF2021 with Java 17

Guide ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Will CF2021 be adding support for Java 17 now that it is the latest long-term support (LTS) release?

Regards, Carl.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you're asking Adobe, Carl, but we can surely expect it. WHEN is another question: it may be weeks or months,. But past experience suggests that we'll see at least see an update for Cf2021 and cf2018 (only), that will permit us to update the jvm to Java 17, as the new LTS. And at some point (then or later) we MAY see a refreshed installer that already includes it.

I'll also say that past experience is that they won't tell us in advance.. It will just happen some day. Until then, only Java 11 is supported. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The move from Oracle JDK 11 to Oracle JDK 17 is a big change. See the JDK 17 release notes. So big that it would require an extensive update of ColdFusion 2021, were ColdFusion to use JDK 17

So there is a probability that Adobe may choose to stay on Java 11 and perfect the ColdFusion application on it. There is also a probability they may move ColdFusion 2021 to OpenJDK, be it version 11 or 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your second paragraph, I would characterize them not as probabilities but ONLY as possibilities (and unlikely ones at that, based on past experience with CF).

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On your second paragraph, I would characterize them not as probabilities but ONLY as possibilities (and unlikely ones at that, based on past experience with CF).

By @Charlie Arehart

In the context of the second paragraph, probability is synonymous with possibility. In any case, that is how I meant it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation