Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 2021 Update 5 breaks xml

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just applied update 5 and now I am getting XML errors:

"Error","ajp-nio-127.0.0.1-8020-exec-10","10/13/22","11:28:42","Medlists3","coldfusion.runtime.CFPage.XmlSearch(Lcoldfusion/xml/XmlNodeList;Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/Object;

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-2021-update-5.html says

CHANGE IN XML

If the XML path contains a forward slash or backslash, it will be blocked. The flag, coldfusion.xml.allowPathCharacters, must be set to true to allow the same.

But I don't know where to make this change.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Hello Gabriel,

Please try this.
 Update ColdFusion 2021 with update 5

1. Go to \ColdFusion2021\{instances}\wwwroot\WEB-INF\cfclasses and clear the classes. 
  2. Restart ColdFusion service and try again. 

Please let me know if that resolves the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clearing \ColdFusion2021\{instances}\wwwroot\WEB-INF\cfclasses worked for me. Thanks. Adobe updates are always an adventure, and not in a good way.. Didn't catch this until it was in production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Michael. And it doesn't help that the suggestion to clear the cfclasses is only in the cf2018 update 15 technote, which is quite unfortunate.

And back to an earlier comment in this thread, there's also no clarification about which cfml xml features/functions are impacted by these changes, whether the need to do that class clearing or adding the jvm arg (discussed in both technotes). 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I can confirm, for CF2018 at least, that the jvm argument is only needed when using xmlTransform().  It is not needed if you are only using xmlSearch().  Clearing the classes was indeed necessary however.  We use a ton of XML, so I can say this quite confidently.

Thanks,

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Appears to be the same for 2021. We use xmlSearch a lot, but not xmlTransform. Removing this flag doesn't cause any issues for us. Clearing the classes fixed everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation