Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 8 and Windows 10

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Wondering if Coldfusion * can be installed on WIndows 10 Ent 64 bit.

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any specific version of IIS do I need on Windows 10 Ent for ColdFusion 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows doesn't let you pick and choose IIS versions, you have to use whatever it comes with. But if you're using this as a developer machine, which is what I expect, you could dispense with IIS altogether in most cases and have things work just as well for you using CF's built-in web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed ColdFusion 8 on Win 10 Ent and when I go to Add Web Server Configuration, I get a message - Version 10.0 is installed. Supported versions are 4.x, 5.x, 6.x and 7.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install a developer edition of any CF Server for free.  Don't use CF8, as it's way past EOL and some tags that you want to use might be deprecated.  You should use AT LEAST version 10, just for the oWasp ESAPI alone (security).

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why you dispense with IIS. If you don't install the IIS connector, CF 8 will work fine. The only reason why you should be using CF 8 for development is if you have some legacy code/customers that for whatever reason is still using CF 8, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 4 old websites running on ColdFusion 8 and there are no plans to upgrade ColdFusion. I'm on Win 10 ENT with IIS 10. We are not doing any ColdFusion development. I just need some way to browser website on development machine when I update a page or two. How can I use built-in server with multiple sites?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there are any settings that you can configure in the built-in webserver.  You just have to point to one location, and then put projects in different folders, and browse to that.

http://dev.domain.com/project1/

http://dev.domain.com/project2/

http://dev.domain.com/project3/

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greengonemad, as others here have said, CF8 does not support Windows 10 (heck, even CF2016 did not support it until a new installer added in early 2017).

But it can be made to work. It's too complicated to explain (and because you're asking about CF8, it would be hard to find info on the web to point you to). But if you are adamant to get this working, I suspect I could help you get it working in less than an hour, via remote consulting over a shared desktop (no need for you to "open your server" to me.) You can learn more at carehart.org/consulting.

That said, I and others here would want to repeat how you are taking substantial risks running such an old version. At a minimum, it would be wise to make sure you are at least on the latest possible CHF and security updates that were available for CF8 (to protect at least against significant known and resolved vulnerabilities then), the last of which was in Sep 2012. I can help with that as well, and do it in such a way as to allow you to easily revert back to "where you are now" if something about hte updates causes problems.

Yes, yes.I know that some here will think it irresponsible of me to even offer to help someone in this situation, like I'm teaching him how to get a garden growing on a contaminated waste site. But if that's where he lives and he refuses to move, I'm at least helping him survive as well as he can given his decision. We can all still strongly advice against it, of course.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GreenGoneMad  wrote

We have 4 old websites running on ColdFusion 8 and there are no plans to upgrade ColdFusion. I'm on Win 10 ENT with IIS 10. We are not doing any ColdFusion development. I just need some way to browser website on development machine when I update a page or two. How can I use built-in server with multiple sites?

As you intend to install ColdFusion 8 anew, do so on a machine that has an older version of Windows. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColdFusion 8 was never tested on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GreenGoneMad, how did things resolve for you?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation