Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion Server 2018 - Use Windows Service to Start/Stop the Server

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a brand new workstation with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. I installed ColdFusion Server 2018 (CF + Tomcat Bundle for the application server) along with ColdFusion Builder 2018. All works fine. In previous versions of ColdFusion (10 & ?) that I have installed on other workstations and the 5 associated ColdFusion services did show up under Windows Services and from there I was able to control the startup type there. With my new install I don't see these services. In ColdFusion Builder 2018 you have the option to edit the server and from there I have selected "Use Windows Service to Start/Stop the Server" but still no luck. I ultimately want ColdFusion Server 2018 to automatically startup when the computer is turned on so I don't have to manually start through ColdFusion Builder 2018.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Kirk, here are a few thoughts.

1) First two things:

a) Priyank asked you to do that in order to see any info that might have been shared (back to the console) that might explain your issue. (That said, I don’t think that it will. Your point is not that CF won’t start, but that you don’t see it as a service. I don’t expect that to be explained by what the console log might show.)

b) Still, and more important perhaps: he didn’t ask you to go to ColdFusionBuilder2018\ColdFusion\cfusion\bin. (That i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have administrative rights on this machine?

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have administrative rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can launch the command prompt as Run as Admin

Navigate to ColdFusion2018\cfusion\bin and type "cfstart" command. Check the issue in the console and share it here.

Thanks,

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I Navigated to “ColdFusionBuilder2018\ColdFusion\cfusion\bin” and typed "cfstart" command and it started the server. Do want to see the text comments after I typed in above?

To clarify, I want the ColdFusion server to start automatically when I boot up, I don’t want to have to go to the Command Prompt.

Please let me know if you want the text comments.

Regards,

Kirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kirk,

I think we have to create the ColdFusion 2018 service for you, if you are using the built-in CF which ships with ColdFusion Builder.

Thanks,

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Priyank,

How do I do that?

Would it be better for me to remove both ColdFusion Server 2018 and ColdFusion Builder 2018 entirely? Then first install ColdFusion Server 2018 and then install ColdFusion Builder 2018?

Regards,

Kirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn, I was writing and sending my longer answer (explaining all that) when your two notes showed up. But to sum things up, I was concluding my note with that very suggestion, Kirk (for the reasons described in my longer answer).

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie and Priyank,

I have solved this. I removed both ColdFusion Server 2018 and ColdFusion Builder 2018 entirely. Then I did a fresh install ColdFusion Server 2018 and now the 5 associated ColdFusion services show up under Windows Services and from there I am able to control the startup type there.

If you install ColdFusion Builder 2018 and along the way install ColdFusion Server 2018 as part of that install the normal file path of "ColdFusion2018\cfusion" ends up being “ColdFusionBuilder2018\ColdFusion\cfusion\bin” and the 5 associated ColdFusion services don't show up under Windows Services. I would highly recommend to install ColdFusion Server 2018 first and separately.

Thanks for all of the help!

Kirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said. But glad you resolved things.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kirk, here are a few thoughts.

1) First two things:

a) Priyank asked you to do that in order to see any info that might have been shared (back to the console) that might explain your issue. (That said, I don’t think that it will. Your point is not that CF won’t start, but that you don’t see it as a service. I don’t expect that to be explained by what the console log might show.)

b) Still, and more important perhaps: he didn’t ask you to go to ColdFusionBuilder2018\ColdFusion\cfusion\bin. (That is the CF that is installed INSIDE of CFBuilder, which is a relatively new option in the CFB installer. Is that what you mean when you say you “installed CF”?)

Instead, he asked you to go to ColdFusion2018\cfusion\bin. That is the folder where CF gets installed if you install CF itself (as opposed to this CF install option within CFB).

So do you have such a \ColdFusion2018\ folder (with those cfusion\bin folders and more under it)? If you do not, then perhaps you did NOT really install CF the way you always had before. Is that possible?

2) And I have to admit: I have never used that feature to install CF from within CFBuilder, so I don’t know if THAT CF installer DOES create the Windows Services you seek. The “regular” installer certainly does. But I can say that I know that the CF installer within CFB does in fact install CF into that path that YOU have named, ColdFusionBuilder2018\ColdFusion\cfusion….

3) Finally, as for the “servers” feature in CFB that you refer to, where you told it to start the named server using Windows Services, well, that’s just going to TRY to start that server as a service—assuming that it’s been configured to run as a service (like the normal CF installer would do). It will not “configure” Windows Services for that named server.

Someone might want to point out that you COULD setup Windows Services for this “embedded CF” installed within CFB, using the Windows command line sc.exe, but I don’t know how it if will lead to the exact same result as if CF did it. Here’s why: do you have a coldfusionsvc.exe in your cfusion\bin that you point to? Because technically, THAT is what gets configured by CF to start when a CF service starts, and that then turns around and runs the coldfusion.exe. (And perhaps Adobe doesn’t put that coldfusionsvc.exe in there for that embedded installation. That said, if you don’t have that, I suppose it might still work if you pointed the service to the regular coldfusion.exe. It’s easy enough to google to find how to use SC to create a service.

4) But again I really think if you want things to be “like you used to have them”, you may want to consider uninstalling CFB (and confirm that it removes the embedded CF), and then install CF (itself) and then CFB (and tell CFB NOT to create the embedded CF installation).

FWIW, the embedded one (added in CFB 2016, or maybe CFB3) was added as a seeming convenience for those who “just wanted to install CFB and get CF installed in the bargain”. I suppose it may suit some development styles, but I have seen it cause more confusion (like this) than help. But that’s a personal opinion.

Let us know if any of this helps.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI...

I just installed ACF 2018 Server only on a Windows 10 VM.  All the services were there and I was able to get the app up and running.

Then, windows needed to apply several updates.  On restart, the services in the windows mmc were gone, along with all IIS configs that the ACF WS Config Tool applies to IIS.

I am proceeding uninstall and reinstall ACF 2018.  Let's see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation