• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a multiple choice questions in PDF

Contributor ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a PDF document with set of questions answerable by multiple choice.

Example:

For which of the following disciplines is Nobel Prize awarded?

A. Physics and Chemistry

B. Physiology or Medicine

C. Literature, Peace and Economics

D. All of the above

In this example, the correct answer is "D - All of the above”

Here is what I would like to happen:

1. How can I check if the answer selected is correct?
  2. I also plan to include a "Next" control button that when click, it goes to the next question and cannot go back to the previous question to change their answer.
  3. I want the result (Correct or Wrong) of each question to be display only after the last question has been answer.

Example:

Question 1 - Correct

Question 2 - Correct

Question 3 - Wrong

Question 4 - Correct ...

d.  I also want to display the total score at the end and a note if they passed or failed the test.

Thank you in advance.

Henry

TOPICS
Reporting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

I agree with nic.  PDFs are supposed to be a cross-platform portable document used for conveying information.  Yeah, you can set up a form and have people check boxes/radios and fill out text fields, and such, but they were never meant to be as interactive as what you describe.  This would be better done with a webpage, and you don't even have to use server-side for it.  A standard HTML with JavaScript should be able to cover what you seek, and can be copied from system to system and run locally

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be quite outside of the scope of a PDF, especially one generated by ColdFusion.  Adobe Livecycle used to add functionality that might be useful, but it is quite an expensive solution for something that might be better served as a web page, etc.

-Nic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with nic.  PDFs are supposed to be a cross-platform portable document used for conveying information.  Yeah, you can set up a form and have people check boxes/radios and fill out text fields, and such, but they were never meant to be as interactive as what you describe.  This would be better done with a webpage, and you don't even have to use server-side for it.  A standard HTML with JavaScript should be able to cover what you seek, and can be copied from system to system and run locally in the browser without a webserver.

HTH,

^ _ ^

UPDATE:  Of course, this won't prevent people from using "View Source" and cheating.  For that you'd have to have a webserver and a server-side scripting language like CF with AJaX for the checking of scores and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nic and WolfShade for this feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this to work? If so, what did you use? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this to work? If so, what did you use? 

By @T.Taylor

WolfShade's post was marked as the correct answer. So, you should use the suggestions from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting requirements. I tried this before and reaches only up to the point of comparing the correct answers. However, one thing I would life to be added and that is a functional button that when check will show the results and not during while the questions is being answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is sort of a blast from the past! There are really two questions here: how to do it, and why you'd want to do it.

To build a complex PDF form, we used Adobe Livecycle Designer, which was bundled with Acrobat Pro. This has been replaced by AEM Forms Designer. I don't know whether you can use this for free or where you can get it. I don't think it's part of Creative Cloud. I think the two tools are pretty similar. Anyway, Designer created XML forms that aren't really traditional PDFs but can be used as PDFs. These forms support JavaScript and have a very complex and powerful DOM. You certainly can use them for dynamic UI stuff. So, you should be able to build this form in Designer as it sounds pretty simple.

But should you? Why not just use HTML? I don't see anything special about this form or its use case. Maybe there is, I don't know.

Anyway, here's the AEM forum.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/forms/ic-print-channel-tutorial/cre...

Good luck!

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, a couple of caveats I forgot:

While PDFs are certainly capable of doing what you want, most computers will open them with browsers instead of Acrobat, for security reasons mostly. Browsers won't handle XDP forms so they will likely be blank.

XDP forms can be used with CF or any other server-side environment, but they're much harder to develop and debug.

HTML is a preferred forms delivery method over XDP ... even by AEM developers. That does require an AEM server specifically, I don't think you can do that with CF.

Again, good luck!

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation