• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Date and time diff?

Participant ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am showing a datediff using just hours.  Can I show hours and minutes?  I am using CF10, and I am not a programmer.

Here is what I am using

<cfset cc_TIC_cooler_good_untilDiff = DateDiff("h", Now(), cc_TIC_cooler_good_until)>    cc_TIC_cooler_good_until = date/time stored in database.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

According to calculatorsoup.com, a method (dubbed the alternative method) to calculate hours:minutes from minutes is to:

How to Convert Minutes to Hours and Minutes, Alternate Method

There are 60 minutes in an hour or 60 minutes per hour. Written mathematically as a value of 1 it is [60 min / 1 hr] = 1. The inverse is also true that [1 hr / 60 min] = 1

To convert minutes to hours and minutes by division and multiplication,

• divide the minutes by 60
  • if the result is a number with a decimal part, then
  • th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, DateDiff("h" is for hours.  DateDiff("n" is for minutes, DateDiff("s" is for seconds.

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/cfml-reference/coldfusion-functions/functions-c-d/DateDiff.html

V/r,

^ _ ^

UPDATE:  I just noticed you said "hours and minutes".  So, in that case you'd get the difference in minutes, and convert to hours:minutes using simple math.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I do know that much. 

What I want to show is a good until date time, and then in parenthesis after that how many hours and minutes that is.

What I have is:

12/28/2018 02:44

(11)

What I want is:

12/28/2018 02:44

(11:48)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then just use floor() to round down to the nearest integer because 0.16667 * 60 doesn't equal 10, it equals something like 10.0002, or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to calculatorsoup.com, a method (dubbed the alternative method) to calculate hours:minutes from minutes is to:

How to Convert Minutes to Hours and Minutes, Alternate Method

There are 60 minutes in an hour or 60 minutes per hour. Written mathematically as a value of 1 it is [60 min / 1 hr] = 1. The inverse is also true that [1 hr / 60 min] = 1

To convert minutes to hours and minutes by division and multiplication,

• divide the minutes by 60
  • if the result is a number with a decimal part, then
  • the hours is the integer part
  • the minutes is the decimal part multiplied by 60

To show an example and how it works mathematically, let's say we want to convert 190 minutes to hours and minutes. We multiply by [1 hr / 60 min] which is 1. The min unit cancels out and our result is in hr units.

190 min * [1 hr / 60 min] = 190/60 hr = 3.16667 hr

3 is the hours part.

The minutes part is calculated as 0.16667 * 60 = 10

So, 190 minutes = 3 hours and 10 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I never thought of working with the whole thing in minutes and converting it, I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for marking my answer as correct.  I do appreciate it.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOOOOOH!  I just learned something way cool.

You can do it using a modulus!!

Using the example above of 190 minutes:

190 / 60 = 3.16667 (3 is the hours, use floor() to round that down to just 3)

190 % 60 = 10 (the number of minutes without calculating or rounding down)

How cool is THAT????

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<cfset cc_TIC_cooler_good_untilDiff_in_minutes = dateDiff("n", now(), cc_TIC_cooler_good_until)>

<cfset numberOfHours=int(cc_TIC_cooler_good_untilDiff_in_minutes/60)>

<cfset numberOfMinutes=cc_TIC_cooler_good_untilDiff_in_minutes - 60*int(cc_TIC_cooler_good_untilDiff_in_minutes/60)>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned something EVEN MORE COOL!!! 

According to Ben Nadel, ever since CF7 there has been a math function "\" that is "integer division".  It does the same thing as using int() on the results (ie, it will automatically remove the decimal and everything after it.)  So it is now even easier:

190 \ 60 = 3

190 % 60 = 10 (the number of minutes without calculating or rounding down - it's the REMAINDER.)

Mind.  Blown.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of the arithmetic operators \ and % (mod). But I prefer int() as it is more intuitive and more widely known. The operators \ and % may appear short and crisp but, for simple tasks like the one here, they are no faster than int()!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They may not be faster, and may not be intuitive (although I'll argue mod v % as % being intuitive.. it just makes sense, to me; JavaScript has used % to represent modulus for quite a while), it's less code to write.  That is typically enough, for me (although not always.)

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WolfShade  wrote

... it's less code to write.

Fair enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know I'm kind of splitting hairs, here, but I just realised that I shouldn't have called it "modulus".  I should have called it "remainder".  Apparently, for positive values they are identical.  But negative values are different between mod and rem.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13683563/whats-the-difference-between-mod-and-remainder

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation