• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting and Importing Datasources to a new coldfusion server! (help)

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Wondering if there is a clean straight simple way to export DSNs from a coldfusion server and import to another????????????

I need to export a huge amount(200 plus) of DSNs from a Coldfusion 8 and a Coldfusion 9 server(s) to a new Coldfusion 11 server.

Any ideas how to do that???

I tried the method of overwriting the neo-datasource.xml which did work and provided the listings however when I try and verify any of the DSNs its has a encryption error. Which is understandable to a degree.

I also merging or infusing the neo-datasource.xml files from both the CF 8 and CF 9 servers together , although this proved to be unsuccessful as the CF 11 server keep erroring saying it cannot find the the datasource and i believe i have no syntax errors in the Merged XML file

I find it rather ridiculous that CF admin does not have any options to export the DSNs and to import them back!!!!! , unless I am completely missing something here,

I be very grateful for your help or any methods which I may have missed because i need to find way, as I have loads of DSNs to transfer. I am hoping I don't have to do this one by one :S

Cheers

Zyconite

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl

Thankyou for your reply.

Those blogs you posted gave a good insight on how to go about the ColdFusion migration.

Only problem is the first blog requires to have the CF 8 and CF11 on the same server.

The Second blog is helpful, however I need to find a method on combining the CF8 and CF9 DSNs together and then importing it to the CF 11

Any ways thank you for your response.

Zyconite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two choices:-

1. Create a CAR package from CF8 and import to CF9 and then create a CAR package from CF9 and lastly import it to CF11.
  2. Create a CAR package from CF8 and import to CF11 and then create a CAR package from CF9 and import it to CF11.

Tweaking the neo-datasource.xml will not help you in this case. Further, it make break the existing functionality.

Let us know, if this helps you.

Note:- CAR is an "Enterprise" version feature only till CF10.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anit

Thanks for your response.

Ah i see , nice plan.

Although both our CF8 and CF 9 servers are standard licences not Enterprise :S

Is there a way to get around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. CAR is an "Enterprise" version feature till CF10.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zyconite wrote:

I tried the method of overwriting the neo-datasource.xml which did work and provided the listings however when I try and verify any of the DSNs its has a encryption error. Which is understandable to a degree.

You were on the right track, although that method is undocumented, hence unsupported by Adobe. Now, fold up your sleeves. There is some manual labour involved.

Before you start, go to the respective datasource pages in the ColdFusion 8 and ColdFusion 9 Administrator, and make a list of all the datasource names that you wish to copy to ColdFusion 11. Jot down the password correspondng to each datasource.

Make a backup of ColdFusion 11's neo-datasource.xml file, for example, by renaming it to neo-datasource.BACKUP. This will enable you to return CF11 to its original state where necessary. Copy the neo-datasource.xml from CF8/9 into the lib directory of CF11, and restart CF11.

Go to the datasource page of CF11's Administrator. Open the datasources, one by one, enter the respective password that you jotted down, and verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful thank you. I need to update all the datasources (16 of them) on 16 CF2018 servers w/ 6 instances each.

I manually updated all of DSNs on instance A, then copied the neo-datasource file to the other 5 instances "lib" folder.

This worked great. Can I now take the updated neo-datasource file can copy it to the other 15 servers & 6 instances \lib folder?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind - I got my answer. Yes but the passwords are hashed for the server so they won't migrate across servers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation