Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hashing password with bcrypt in coldfusion

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am trying to hash a password with bcrypt algorithm (try to match password with an off the shell software), but I keep getting error, it works for algorithms "SHA-1", "SHA-256" etc...<cfset hashpw = #hash(password_from_form, "SHA-1")#>, <cfset hashpw = #hash(password_from_form, "SHA-256")#>

but  <cfset hashpw = #hash(password_from_form, "BCrypt")> don't work,  got error : The BCrypt is not supported by the security Provider you have chosen.

Is there no bcrypt algorithm in coldfusion hash function ?

Have been working on it over a week but without luck.

btw, I am using dreamweaver 8.

thank you so much in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coldfusion doesn't support bcrypt in the hash function. You will have to use a java version and integrate it.

You can do something like this : http://www.aliaspooryorik.com/blog/index.cfm/e/posts.details/post/using-bcrypt-in-coldfusion-10-370

This is for CF10 / 11 but there are various similar ways and post online about this depending on the version of Coldfusion you use. Let me google that for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry I was out for a few days.

thank you so much for the info. I am using dreamweaver 8 but in the process of converting it to cf11.

The code is kind of complicated for me, but I will digest it slowly, I will let you know what happens.

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realize I'm responding to this post 5 years after it was made, but I just want to share that CF2021 has added a bcrypt function. Even if it may be too late for the folks who participated on this thread in the past I share it because this post is one of the first results that comes up in google search on coldfusion and bcrypt. Here's a link to the new docs:

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/user-guide.html/coldfusion/cfml-reference/coldfusion-functions/fu...

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation