• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to handle Invalid ReturnFormat

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a CFC method that uses a cfscript to define a  structure that is initialized with details from a query and used to create an HTML output which is saved using <cfsavecontent>. The compressed html struct is then returned to the calling AJAX to render the output on the screen. I cannot post the code because of company policies but the url looks something like this : http://appurl/componenetName.cfc?method=methodname&returnFormat=json. Now during a security testing, the person replaced  the json  with  'abc' and it throws an invalid Return Format - which is totally acceptable, but - I want to show a general application Application error instead of the CF error. How and where do I catch this error? Will a cftry and cfcatch work? I tried defining error in the ajax call but I still get the error. I tried to use if,else to see if no input is passed to throw the error, but that still doesnt change the invalid returnType. Any help on this will highly appreciated. 

PS: I am new to CF, been only 6 months so please respond with a simple expalnantion. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

The problem is the error is not being thrown insode the CFC function it is thrown when the function is called so you cannot trap it insode the function. Per documentation the only valid values for ReturnFormat are JSON, PLAIN or WDDX, anthing else will result in an error on the call. The only way to trap this is to use the OnError in the Application CFC.

See article by Ben Nadel https://www.bennadel.com/blog/1567-handling-remote-api-errors-with-application-cfcs-onerror-event-method.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and welcome to ColdFusion.  I hope you enjoy working CF as much as I do.

A CFTRY/CFCATCH could work well, and you can use the catch to return a simple error message to the user for display, and also use that to CFMAIL a CFDUMP of the error message (#cfcatch#) to yourself.  At least that is how I would handle it.  I'm sure there are others who can also provide some really good ideas.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the error is not being thrown insode the CFC function it is thrown when the function is called so you cannot trap it insode the function. Per documentation the only valid values for ReturnFormat are JSON, PLAIN or WDDX, anthing else will result in an error on the call. The only way to trap this is to use the OnError in the Application CFC.

See article by Ben Nadel https://www.bennadel.com/blog/1567-handling-remote-api-errors-with-application-cfcs-onerror-event-me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the method suggested by John1231 . But I disagree that it is the only way.

You could also use the tag <cferror>.

For example, proceed as follows:

1) In the same directory as Application.cfc, create a new page, errorHandler.cfm, to handle errors.

2) Add a cferror tag to Application.cfc, immediately following the "this" settings. Set the tag's template attribute to "errorhandler.cfm".

That's it.

Application.cfc
<cfcomponent displayname="Application" output="true" hint="Handle the application.">
	<!--- Set up the application. --->
	<cfset this.Name = "myApp">
	<cfset this.ApplicationTimeout = createTimeSpan( 1, 0, 0, 0 )>
	<cfset this.sessionTimeout = createTimeSpan( 0, 0, 30, 0 )>
	<cfset this.sessionManagement = true />

<cferror template="errorHandler.cfm" type="exception" exception="any">

<cffunction
		name="OnApplicationStart"
		access="public"
		returntype="boolean"
		output="false"
		hint="Fires when the application is first created.">

<cfreturn true>
	</cffunction>
</cfcomponent>

errorHandler.cfm
<!--- 
Dump the details of the error. Select the information you will need to show.
Then comment out this dump code and proceed such as in the example below.
--->
<!---<cfdump var="#error#" label="Error struct in errorHandler">--->

<cfif findNoCase("invalid returnFormat", error.message) gt 0>
	You specified the wrong value for <b>returnFormat</b>. The value you specify must be <b>wddx</b>, <b>plain</b> or <b>json</b>.
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this BKBK, I don't remember ever using CFERROR before. I always use the onError for global error traps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer was super helpful too. Thanks for making it so clear and giving me the examples. It helped me a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understood that the error was being thrown outside the function when the try and catch werent working. I tried the <cferror> tag also suggested by @BKBK, however, it kept throwing me a could not resolve cfm file error even thought it was in the same folder. I might required  to add a mapping to fix the error, so instead I used the onError method and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious, though.  If the CFFUNCTION were placed within a CFTRY/CFCATCH, would that work?  Or is that not canon?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm suddenly unable to edit my messages.  In FF and Chrome.

Anyhoo, I can answer my question.  If the application.cfc has an onError function, that will trigger before the CATCH.  Can't try it without the onError.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just thought of something else.  Whitelisting.  In the CFC, near the top, use a switch/case that uses the valid formats, and set a default to JSON if nothing matches.  Voila.  Problem solved.

<cfswitch expression="#arguments.returnFormat#">
   <cfcase value="JSON,WDDX,XML,PLAIN" delimiters=",">
      <!--- Do nothing; it's valid! --->
   </cfcase>
   <cfdefaultcase>
      <!--- Someone is trying something they shouldn't be trying --->
      <cfset arguments.returnFormat = "JSON" />
   </cfdefaultcase>
</cfswitch>

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've been playing around.  I created a CFC that will return a CFDUMP of the function called.

test.cfc:

<cffunction name="myTest1" access="remote" description="This is only a test to see what is returned." output="no" returnformat="plain" secureJSON="no">
	<cfsavecontent variable="variables.thisStuff">
		<cfdump var="#this.myTest1#" />
	</cfsavecontent>
	<cfreturn variables.thisStuff />
</cffunction>

test.cfm:

<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>
	<button type="button" id="testBtn" name="testBtn">Click Me</button>
	<div id="testDiv"></div>
	<script>
		var testBtn = document.getElementById('testBtn'),
			testDiv = document.getElementById('testDiv');
		function testFunction(event,data){
			testDiv.innerHTML = this.responseText;
			}

testBtn.addEventListener('click',function(){
			var oReq = new XMLHttpRequest();
			oReq.addEventListener("load", testFunction);
			oReq.open("GET", "test.cfc?method=myTest1");
			oReq.send();
			});
	</script>
</body>
</html>

This is what it returned:

cfcxhr.jpg

Notice that even though I used the attribute returnFormat, it's not listed.

What happened here, Adobe?  Shouldn't this have all attributes?

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation