• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTTP Error 500.0 - Metaspace

Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, we've been running CF11 on our development servers for nearly a year as we worked out several issues.  Thinking all was well and good we've deployed it to our production servers only to have a whole new set of issues pop up.  Most concerning is an ugly IIS error that appears out of no where: HTTP Error 500.0 - Metaspace

The Application log is filed with entries like: "Metaspace The specific sequence of files included or processed is: C:\BlahBlahBlah"

I have never seen this one before.

Googling this has come up with few results.  What I did find is that it is a new memory system in Java 8 supposedly to rid us of Out of Memory errors?

So, I'm running Win2008, IIS7, CF11 with all current updates.  Server is running in the cloud on a VM with 8GB RAM and 8 CPUs.

My JVM args were: "java.args=-server  -Xms256m -Xmx6144m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=128m"

I came across this message string:

Google Groups

...and have changed my Java args to: "java.args=-server  -Xms1024m -Xmx5120m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m"

Still waiting to see if this has a decent effect.

Anyone else run into this?  Suggestions?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional research.  I've found our development CF11 install was an early version and actually installed with Java 7 (1.7) and has seen none of these "Metaspace" errors.  Our production machines were newly downloaded and installed with Java 8 (1.8)...where this new Metaspace concept was introduced.  This would explain why the development machine never had these issues!

My increase in the Metaspace size seems to have only reduced the number of occurrences of this error.  It is still happening.

I found this article explaining Metaspace:

https://plumbr.eu/outofmemoryerror/metaspace

I have 7 or 8 custom JAR tags in addition to all everything CF installs.  I find it hard to believe no one else has run into this problem.

I'm going to try increase the MaxMetaspaceSize to 1024.  If that doesn't work I can try removing it altogether.  We're also contemplating moving back down to Java 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rule of thumb I have noticed - if you know some values for PermGen with Java 7 that work well for your environment use those as a starting point for MetaSpace. EG:
-XX:PermSize=312m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m Java 7
-XX:MetaspaceSize=312m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m Java 8

One can do well to assign a value for initial setting to MetaSpace. See above example.

Perhaps related, how much memory is being consumed by Compressed Class Space? JMX monitoring with JDK tools like JMC or Jconsole might be helpful to check plus will also show MetaSpace use along with garbage collection information.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have also been working on CF11 in Dev with Java 1.8_45(currently) for 1 year and have moved production to CF11 three times and reverted back to CF10 Java 1.7 each time because of memory issues.

Have you made any progress with your JVM tuning on 1.8 or has success switching back to Java 1.7.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding the discussion of metaspace, I will share that if someone hits an "outofmemoryerror: metaspace" in CF, the best solution may well be simply to remove the maxmetaspacesize argument, as I discuss here:

https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2020/02/quickly-solve-outofmemory-metaspace-errors/

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation