Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing and migration from CF10 to 2016

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a few questions.  First a little about our current setup.

Currently we're running CF 10 enterprise on a dedicated server as a production server and a second not quite as powerful server as a test server / fail-over.

We are moving to a cloud solution with 2 identical VMs with 4 cores each, 1 will be production and once more the second would be a test / development / fail-over server.  At first we're going to move with CF10 just to get things configured and running again but we'd like to move to the latest version of cf soon after so we can then be on the newest and most up to date software.

My questions:

1)  If I read things correctly we would need to have either 2 standard licenses or 1 enterprise license to cover our installation as our test / fail-over server is covered in the purchase.

2)  I am not entirely sure why we are using Enterprise currently as I do not believe we are even using any of it's features.  What features would be lost / gained if we scaled back and moved from enterprise cf 10 to standard 2016?

3) Are there any migration issues from CF10 to 2016 I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Something happened to the link in my previous post.  Here's the correct one: Buying guide | Adobe ColdFusion Family

Looking down that matrix, all of the ones that say "Restricted functionality" in the Standard column are the "throttled" features.  Basically, it means that they are single-threaded (only one request to that feature is processed at a time) or otherwise limited in Standard while they are multi-threaded or unlimited in Enterprise.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragon-Dancer,

1) I think you are correct.

2) There is a comparison matrix available for CF2016 Standard/Enterprise editions: ColdFusion 11, Update 12 breaks Flex remoting in some cases...   Even if you don't use any Enterprise features now, switching to Standard may result in throttling of some features that are in both editions.

3) Hard to say - depends on your code.  I wouldn't expect many, but there might be some changes as a result of bugfixes that weren't ported back to CF10.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a look and try to make sense of the comparison matrix.  I don't think I've ever used Flex so I don't think this would be an issue

Which features are throttled and what exactly does that mean?

Dragon-Dancer,

1) I think you are correct.

2) There is a comparison matrix available for CF2016 Standard/Enterprise editions: ColdFusion 11, Update 12 breaks Flex remoting in some cases...   Even if you don't use any Enterprise features now, switching to Standard may result in throttling of some features that are in both editions.

3) Hard to say - depends on your code.  I wouldn't expect many, but there might be some changes as a result of bugfixes that weren't ported back to CF10.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Something happened to the link in my previous post.  Here's the correct one: Buying guide | Adobe ColdFusion Family

Looking down that matrix, all of the ones that say "Restricted functionality" in the Standard column are the "throttled" features.  Basically, it means that they are single-threaded (only one request to that feature is processed at a time) or otherwise limited in Standard while they are multi-threaded or unlimited in Enterprise.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the second would be a test / development / fail-over server"

One option is to use Amazon AWS EC2 ColdFusion 2016 Standard server for this purpose.

The cost with m4.large ami is about $0,40 per hour and you can stop/start server when ever needed.

No cost  when server is stopped.

This is also good solution for mobile/Phonegap development using Coldfusion

You can also terminate server when ever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but the choice of cloud service is not a part of my question, that part is out of my hands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you could always test your migration problems using AWS and the decide do you really need enterprise.

But I understand it is not your decision so good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation