• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make full website URL to become lowercase

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a website with URL where subfolders vary from all uppercase to all lowercase. What I would like to happen is to make whole website URL lowercase once loaded. Even if the user changes it to whatever he wants, it will revert to lowercase once page refreshed. 

I tried using what ChatGPT said but this only gives me 500 Internal error. He tried many different variations of this and with http and https and yet all fail in the same way. He also tried with haccess file but it didn't work. Actually, it works for first subfolder, but fails for all others in the path.

<cfsetting showdebugoutput="Yes">
<cftry>
    <cfset requestURL = GetHttpRequestData().headers["host"] & GetHttpRequestData().headers["x-original-uri"]>

<cfset lowercaseURL = LCase(requestURL)>

<cfset segments = ListToArray(lowercaseURL, "/")>

<cfset lastSegment = ArrayLast(segments)>

<cfif CGI.QUERY_STRING NEQ "">
        <cfset lowercaseURL = "#Replace(lowercaseURL, lastSegment, LCase(lastSegment))#?#CGI.QUERY_STRING#">
    </cfif>

<cfset lowercaseURL = ReplaceList(lowercaseURL, "/index.cfm", "", "ALL")>

<cfif LCase(CGI.SCRIPT_NAME) neq LCase(lastSegment) AND LCase(CGI.SCRIPT_NAME) neq LCase(ListLast(CGI.SCRIPT_NAME, '/'))>
        <cfheader statuscode="301" statustext="Moved Permanently">
        <cfheader name="Location" value="#lowercaseURL#">
        <cfabort>
    </cfif>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

In place of GetHttpRequestData(), you could use the CGI variables. You could, for example, borrow from Jules' definition of URI on Stackoverflow, which makes use of CGI.

So we could start with the following idea. As you can see, I felt free to add a correction for the port.

<cfscript>
	if (trim(cgi.server_port) neq "") {
		port=":" & cgi.server_port;
	} else {
		port="";
	}
	// The URI
	if (trim(cgi.query_string) eq "") {
		canonical = '#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.serv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Just a matter of replacing the snippet in the code that you yourself say works. Namely:

<cfscript>
	} else {
		port="";
	}
// You want the the URI to end in .../potato
	canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#", "/index.cfm", "");
} else {
    canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to redirect users to a new URL that contains only lower-case letters?

Try something like:

<cfset userURL = "https://" & cgi.HTTP_HOST & cgi.HTTP_URL>
<cfif reFind("[A-Z]", userURL) GT 0>
	<cflocation url="#lcase(userURL)#" addtoken="No">
</cfif>

Use caution.  There could be situations where this causes an inifite redirection loop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried what you gave me but it seems nothing has changed in my URL. After I added your code my URL is: 
whatever.com/retro/walkthroughs/GBA/

No lowercase . 

I added this Before "<!doctype html>" . Or should I add this somewhere else? I am trying to apply this to all pages considering this is a template for all pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'll need you to provide more info if you need more help.

Have you looked in your browser developer tools....specifically, the Network tab?  On a test page I built with this code, when I load it I see 2 log entries:
302 GET

200 GET

The 302 shows that it landed on the page, detected a capital letter, and redirected to the 'new' URL that is all lower-case.  Do you see a 302 GET?

Do you see a redirect happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I reload the page it behaves normally. There is no rediraction. It just stands there. I am unsure where to look up. I am checking network tab and there are like 50 things going on there, from css files, over js files, documents, images, etc. 

I attached image of the code where I placed it. It's a cfm file called "website-header-top-template". This is a template which is connected with other templates to make a whole page. Your code is added on the top of the page on all pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In place of GetHttpRequestData(), you could use the CGI variables. You could, for example, borrow from Jules' definition of URI on Stackoverflow, which makes use of CGI.

So we could start with the following idea. As you can see, I felt free to add a correction for the port.

<cfscript>
	} else {
		port="";
	}
	// The URI
		canonical = '#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#';
	} else {
		canonical = '#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#?#cgi.query_string#';
	}

//The lower-case version of the URI
	lowerCaseCanonical=lCase(canonical);
</cfscript>

<!--- Your redirect code: redirect only when URI and lowercased URI don't match --->
 <cfif compare(canonical, lowerCaseCanonical)>
    <cfheader name="Location" value="#lowerCaseCanonical#">
    <cfabort>
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is almost perfect answer. One thing left is to remove /index.cfm part at the end of the URL. So far it goes: "blabla.com/test/potato" and it stops there. With the code you gave me, it is "blabla.com/test/potato/index.cfm" 

I just need the last one removed. 

Thank you again for this. Works like a charm. (Just one more left to fix)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, something just crossed my mind. Are you implementing the solution in Application.cfc? For example, in onRequestStart()?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's added in my header cfm file. Where the actual page starts (before doctype declaration). Should I relocate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to relocate. Header.cfm is customarily included via Application.cfc (unless you've implemented it differently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the code works but I only need to remove from URL last /index.cfm. That's all but I don't know how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, I thought you only mentioned that as being a challenge to do. Does this help?

<cfscript>
	uri="https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/cfml-reference/coldfusion-functions/functions-l/listsetat.html";
    nrUriParts=listLen(uri, "/");	
    uriWithLastPartReplaced=listSetAt(uri, nrUriParts, "", "/");
     writeoutput("<strong>uri:</strong> " & uri & "<br>"  );
    writeoutput("<strong>uriWithLastPartReplaced:</strong> " & uriWithLastPartReplaced  );
</cfscript>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We misunderstood what another, probably because English is not my native language. A code you gave me above works like a charm. My url is always lowercase and that's what I wanted but something happened after I applied the code. Before adding it, my URL never had /index.cfc in it. Now it does. All I need is to keep lowercase as your code does, but also remove that file name. No more, no less. I hope I am being clear now 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have been clear all along. We only misunderstood each other.

Please share the part of the code that you are using right now. Also share the result you are currently getting. Then tell us what you wish to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the code.

<cfscript>
	} else {
		port="";
	}
	// The URI
		canonical = '#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#';
	} else {
		canonical = '#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#?#cgi.query_string#';
	}

</cfscript>

<!--- Your redirect code: redirect only when URI and lowercased URI don't match --->
    <cfabort>
</cfif>

And here is the result: https://test.almarsguides.com/retro/index.cfm

when you go any sub folder, it shows index.cfm

I need that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there are two requirements to the problem: (1) strip off "/index.cfm"; and (2) redirect to lower-case URI when browser requests upper-case URI.

You could expand your present code by adding a line that finds and removes "/index.cfm" . For example,

<cfscript>
	} else {
		port="";
	}
	// The URI

if (trim(cgi.query_string) neq "") {
		canonical = canonical & "?#cgi.query_string#";
	}

uriContainsIndexCFM=findNoCase("/index.cfm", canonical) != 0;

</cfscript>

<!--- When URI contains /index.cfm, remove it, then rdirect to resulting lowercase-URI --->
 <cfif uriContainsIndexCFM>
	<cfset uriWithoutIndexCFM=replaceNoCase(lowerCaseCanonical, "/index.cfm", "")>
    <cfheader name="Location" value="#uriWithoutIndexCFM#">
    <cfabort>
</cfif>

<!--- When URI and lowercase-URI don't match, redirect to lowercase URI --->
    <cfabort>
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it shows page is not working. When I apply the code given. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What URL finally appears in the broiwser?
  2. Verify whether the redirection works. For example, as follows: Press F12 to open Developer Tools. Then launch the URL. What HTTP statusses do you see?
  3.  Might it be that your site is still configured to expect a URI that ends in *.cfm? Remember that you have to configure the site to expect blabla.com/test/potato rather than blabla.com/test/potato/x.cfm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To summarize of my last post:

• configuring your site to go to blabla.com/test/potato rather than to blabla.com/test/potato/index.cfm is a separate task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, let me put it this way. Without using script that worked for me (making url lowercase), my URL is always displayed without index.cfm in the end. It is always whatever.com/test/blabla/ 
However, when I use the script that truly does make my url lowercase, then index.cfm appears. 

The script that makes an issue afterwards (which doesn't work), just tells me that page doesn't work. This script:

<cfscript>
	} else {
		port="";
	}
	// The URI

if (trim(cgi.query_string) neq "") {
		canonical = canonical & "?#cgi.query_string#";
	}

uriContainsIndexCFM=findNoCase("/index.cfm", canonical) != 0;

</cfscript>

<!--- When URI contains /index.cfm, remove it, then rdirect to resulting lowercase-URI --->
 <cfif uriContainsIndexCFM>
	<cfset uriWithoutIndexCFM=replaceNoCase(lowerCaseCanonical, "/index.cfm", "")>
    <cfheader name="Location" value="#uriWithoutIndexCFM#">
    <cfabort>
</cfif>

<!--- When URI and lowercase-URI don't match, redirect to lowercase URI --->
    <cfabort>
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then use the script that worked, with the following modification:

// The URI ends in .../potato
	canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#", "/index.cfm", "");
} else {
    canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#?#cgi.query_string#", "/index.cfm", "");
}
// The URI ends in .../potato/
	canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#", "index.cfm", "");
} else {
    canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#?#cgi.query_string#", "index.cfm", "");
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give me full code from the script that worked? I really have no idea how any of this work, honestly. You did give me snippets but I have no idea where to put it and what to remove. 

Right now I got this one and it seems to work. No idea how it works, but it seems it does. 

<cfscript>
        port = ":" & cgi.server_port;
    } else {
        port = "";
    }

// The URI without the filename
    } else {
    }

// Remove "/index.cfm" from the canonical URL
    canonical = replaceNoCase(canonical, "/index.cfm", "", "all");

// The lower-case version of the URI without the filename
    lowerCaseCanonical = lCase(canonical);
</cfscript>

<cfabort>
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a matter of replacing the snippet in the code that you yourself say works. Namely:

<cfscript>
	} else {
		port="";
	}
// You want the the URI to end in .../potato
} else {
    canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#?#cgi.query_string#", "/index.cfm", "");
}
// You want the the URI to end in .../potato/
/*
	canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#", "index.cfm", "");
} else {
    canonical=replaceNoCase("#getPageContext().getRequest().getScheme()#://#cgi.server_name##port##cgi.script_name#?#cgi.query_string#", "index.cfm", "");
}	
*/
</cfscript>

<cfabort>
</cfif>

In any case, did you see my numbered questions in the previous post? I think that if you answered them we would solve the problem quickly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for all the help given. All is good now. ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure, @Aleksandar34715023f1z9 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation