• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MySQL str_to_date dates wrong in cf queries but correct in mysql?

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading MySQL to 8 we noticed some odd date behaviors.

Example:
2024-06-28T02:11:51.000 stored in a varchar type field named tstamp

When we execute this statement in mysql workbench directly:

STR_TO_DATE(tstamp,'%Y-%m-%dT%H:%i') as listedon

The result is correct: 2024-06-28 02:11:00

The same exact query when done using a coldfusion query on the same field and database returns:

2024-06-27 22:11:00.0

The coldfusion SELECT is subtracting 4 hours from the date stored in a varchar field when we use str_to_date to format it?

Needless to say this is causing issues. Does anyone know of a possible cause or fix for this maybe changing db drivers so that I don't have to recoded all queries on our sites using str_to_date?

Thanks

Forrest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Likely to be caused by the difference in time-zone netween MySQL and ColdFusion. If so, then you can solve the problem by changing the setting for MySQL time-zone, ColdFusion time-zone or both.

I shall use my settings to illustrate. 

Steps to change the MySQL time-zone setting:

• Go to the Data Sources page in the ColdFusion Administrator;
  • (For the relevant MySQL datasource) Click on the button to edit the datasource settings, then on "Show Advanced Settings";
  • Enter the time-zone in the field "

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely to be caused by the difference in time-zone netween MySQL and ColdFusion. If so, then you can solve the problem by changing the setting for MySQL time-zone, ColdFusion time-zone or both.

I shall use my settings to illustrate. 

Steps to change the MySQL time-zone setting:

• Go to the Data Sources page in the ColdFusion Administrator;
  • (For the relevant MySQL datasource) Click on the button to edit the datasource settings, then on "Show Advanced Settings";
  • Enter the time-zone in the field "Connection String", using the MySQL driver attribute serverTimezone. In the example, I have entered my time-zone, which is Europe/Amsterdam; (If you want UTC time-zone, for example, use serverTimezone=UTC);
  • Press the Submit button to register the change.
    BKBK_0-1720281952395.png

Steps to change the ColdFusion time-zone setting:

• Open ColdFusion's system file /bin/jvm.config in a text editor. 
  • Add or, if it already exists, modify the -Duser.timezone flag in java.args. That is the time-zone that ColdFusion uses.
    For example, I want ColdFusion to use the same time-zone as MySQL. So, in my jvm.config file, java.args includes the flag -Duser.timezone=Europe/Amsterdam ; (If you want UTC time-zone, for example, use -Duser.timezone=GMT);
  • ColdFusion is then restarted for the change to take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the following test on ColdFusion 2023 Update 8, using the MySQL 8.3.0 Jar:

<cfscript>
tstamp="2024-06-28T02:11:51.000";

dt=queryExecute("select STR_TO_DATE('#tstamp#','%Y-%m-%dT%H:%i')  as listedon from testTable limit 1", [], {datasource="myTestDS"});

writeoutput(dt["listedon"][1]);

</cfscript>

The result was: 2024-06-28 02:11:00

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I set the serverTimezone in my connection strings to the one CF 2021 was using and it worked.

Strange that with previous version of MySQL this was not required so that MySQL server must have been set to use our time zone instead of the UTC default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation