Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Help - Randomly HTTP 503 Internal server error

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a Coldfusion 10 standard Edition installation with MSSQL 2005 on Windows Server 2008 R2 server about 2 week old.

It is one of my live server and it is dealing with medium to high volume of traffic.

Since deploying this server, it has been getting random HTTP 503 internal server errors,

which require the entire server restart (as coldfusion application server, IIS restart will not able

to resolve the problem). Within this two weeks, sometimes it can last for couple of days without problem,

and sometimes it require 4-5 times server restart within one day.

I can't replicate the error on demand, but I could paste one of the windows server event log here:

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7afa2

Faulting module name: isapi_redirect.dll, version: 1.2.32.0, time stamp: 0x4f745a78

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000000cd68

Faulting process id: 0xfd4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd745ad58e3393

Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe

Faulting module path: C:\ColdFusion10\config\wsconfig\1\isapi_redirect.dll

Report Id: 144b3231-e04e-11e1-8e6d-00505687001e

And I started suspecting the problem is because the connector comes with coldfusion 10, based on one of the bug reports from apache

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=48826.

Based on the information in log file, they are pretty similar.

Any suggestions on how to fix this random server error would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Ryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Ryan, it seems to be fairly consistent with a large request.

I earlier stated that the issue might have been related to flash form invocation/compilation - but it could also be due to the fact that these forms are starting off with some grids that are pretty heavily populated with data on first load.

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on a fix for this issue via

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3222748

Thanks,

Hemant

Adobe ColdFusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted on the other thread that I had tried the an alternate connector (tomcatiis.riaforge.org).

It seems to work well with ASP.net and does not require any ISAPI support, though it does require a little more work to install since it is 3rd party.

I used instructions from this blog post:

http://boncode.blogspot.com/2012/06/cf-coldfusion-10-experimenting-with.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eact same issue here.  Our CF10 rollout to production was a disaster.

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7afa2

Faulting module name: isapi_redirect.dll, version: 1.2.32.0, time stamp: 0x4f745a78

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000018b93

Faulting process id: 0x11f0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd950afc876c76

Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe

Faulting module path: C:\ColdFusion10\config\wsconfig\1\isapi_redirect.dll

Report Id: 98760e12-00ff-11e2-9e13-00155d015102

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its obvious that your server is unable to handle the request due to maintenance or a temporary overload of the server; try to find what makes it overloaded!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talal/Steve,

It's obvious that you did not read the bug report linked to above.  This has nothing to do with server load.  You can crash a server with zero load instantly with this bug.  ANY CF10 server on IIS.  It's not a configuration issue or a capacity issue.  It's a crashing bug, plain and simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going by the initial question and my experience. No, I did not follow the bug link and there are several links in this thread and I didn't have time to read this thread and the associated links in detail. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my experience, 503's are caused by slow pages eating up the worker threads. I recently installed CF10 and noticed right off the bat that it is slower that CF9 so the combination of the two either caused or exacerbated your problem. Now I just installed CF10 and have not done any fine tuning yet. When I upgraded to CF9 I remember similar problems that fine tuning solved -- but the problems did not show up right out-of-the-box like they have with CF10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is still not fixed? Incredible.

Things like xhr file uploads crash the server as stated in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got this error today - thousands of SEVERE log entries. Is it still a known issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running the latest update?

Does it help if you enable "Cache Web Server Paths" setting in the Caching page of the ColdFusion Administrator?

The bug report for 3222748 claims that as a workaround. If not, I would go here and vote up the bug, assuming your issue is producing the same error messages as the ones stated there.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3222748

HTH, Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AlHolden, I've enabled that option (we run a single server) so I'll see if that helps. The problem is intermittent and with no regular frequency, so hard to tell when it will happen next. We run update 11.

Someone also mentioned changing the application pools to run as "LocalService" - not sure if that will help either. It's a bit like black magic trying to get CF to work properly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it could be stated "It's a bit like black magic trying to get CF to work properly with IIS"

CF is basically a Java J2EE application. IIS is a Microsoft application. I think it's more a game of cat and mouse, than black magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To help forward traffic to solutions please visit here:

CF 10 continues to crash on Windows 2008 R2 64 bit

(specifically look for posts by Charlie Arehart)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation