Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Verity and Solr

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

I am relatively new to ColdFusion and need help with Verity and Solr.

I am performing a migration of customer website hosted on ColdFusionMX7 to ColdFusion11. Whenever I am trying to search in the migrated website, its fetching an error. Investigating further it came to notice that on the source server Verity has been installed whereas on the destination server, Solr is used for collection.

I have few queries as below:

01. Can Verity work with ColdFusion11?

02. What is the best way I can make searches to work in above scenario?

Regards,

Hrishikesh Waikar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColdFusion included a built-in version of Verity until CF 9, and started to include a built-in version of Solr somewhere around CF 7 or 8, I don't remember which, and you could choose which you wanted to use. Before the release of CF 10, Adobe's license to include Verity expired, so they built an installer for CF 9.0.2 that no longer included Verity. If you have your own standalone version of Verity, you may be able to use that, but most people haven't bought their own Verity licenses because it's expensive and pretty pointless when you can use Solr instead. ColdFusion 11 does not include Verity.

You will have to rebuild your search functionality to use Solr instead. This is not especially difficult, because you'd use the same CFML tags to set up a Solr search as you would a Verity search: CFCOLLECTION, CFINDEX, CFSEARCH. This is what you'll have to do. Read the documentation for those tags. This resource looks useful but I haven't actually read it in detail.https://bytestopshere.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/lessons-learned-moving-from-verity-to-solr-part-1/

Lessons Learned: Moving from Verity to Solr (Part 1) – The Byte Stops Here

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Thank you for providing information regarding the versions of ColdFusion employing Verity and Solr.

However, the bytestopshere blog enlist the difference between the features in bits and pieces, it does not give a clear idea to migrate the collections from the Verity to Solr. The source version is ColdFusion7 and the destination version is ColdFusion11.

Can you please give a reference in regards to this?

Regards,

Hrishikesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't really migrate the collections themselves. You will have to recreate them. If you previously created them programmatically, you can do that again with the same CFCOLLECTION tag. To populate them, you'll use the same CFINDEX tags you did before. The source and destination versions of CF don't really matter.

There are a lot of small but important differences in search syntax. Raymond Camden has blogged about many of these, but I wasn't able to find them by browsing his old blog, which is linked in the URL I provided last time. Fortunately, he has a new blog, and if you search that blog you'll find lots of entries on Solr. Again, though, that doesn't really have to do with the migration process.

https://www.raymondcamden.com/search

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation