• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can I use downloadToFile but not <cffile> for S3?

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure this out. Anything I try that uses s3:// prefix like readAsBinary() always ends up with "The AWS Access Key Id you provided does not exist in our records". Yet when I use downloadToFile() on the bucket object, there are no issues. Are there special perms to use that prefix? I am not the AWS admin.

CF2023.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

So the file functions are no longer valid in CF2023 from what Adobe told me.

quoteMe: So none of the file tags are usable anymore?

Yes, please use the new implementation going forward.

Thanks,
Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

yup, he figured it out. Thanks for the help. Any troubles with directoryCopy() to S3? I just seem to get nothing. No errors even.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see an edit button....

johnb77214017_0-1707922909868.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I believe is happening is you are mixing up the different methods CF provides of accessing S3.

Prior to ColdFusion introducing Multi-cloud services (in 2021, I believe?) there was still a way to easily access S3 with most CF file manipulation functions.  And that was to use the prefix "s3://" on any operation of CFFILE or other file functions.

However, in order to use that prefix, one of the ways to get it to work was to include the AWS accesskey and Client Secret in the file path.  So, your call would need to look something like:

s3://#yourAccessKey#:#yoursecretKey#@yourbucket/foldername/filename.txt

(I believe you may be able to declare these keys in the application file so as not to need them in the path, but I always had trouble getting that to work reliably)

In addition, you would then need to set the ACL permissions with the storeSetACL() function if you wished the file to be made available to others..

In regard to the downloadToFile() function.  That is part of the new Multi-cloud functionality.  The credentials and setup of that connection are likely already set up in your CFAdmin so you don't have to mess with the credentials in the code.

Here is the documentation for CF Cloud services.

Only functions listed in there will use your pre-configured cloud configs in CFAdmin.

All other file manipulation, using s3://, must include the access key and client secret.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply, unfortunately I have tried that as well, to no avail.

johnb77214017_0-1707926150663.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the file functions are no longer valid in CF2023 from what Adobe told me.

quoteMe: So none of the file tags are usable anymore?

Yes, please use the new implementation going forward.

Thanks,
Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's news to me. There's no mention of that anywhere I know of, though I could be wrong. But I do pay very close attention to such deprecation and removals.

Now, there WAS a bug where some of the old s3 approaches failed, and it was fixed by the updates in October: cf2023 update 5, and cf2021 update 11. John, can you clarify what update you're on?

More on that (fixed) bug here:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/CF-4218035

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I was not on update 5 on dev. smh But then that was a terrible answer from support. I had to refactor because of that. I wil try the native functions now and see what I get. Thanks @Charlie Arehart 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have tried the old way with all updates and still no joy.

Are others using this succesfully?

johnb77214017_0-1708619016744.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried fileDelete() and cffile action=delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use those 'old' S3 approaches every day.  We were also a victim of the bug that Charlie mentioned and have been transitioning over to the new functions.  But, we have a lot of older code still using CF's built in FILE functions with the "s3" prefix and they are working just fine.

We are running CF2023, Update 6, build 330617

Wondering if the AWS keys you are using don't have permission to access the buckets you're going after?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those same keys are the same ones used with the new cloud functions, and they work.

Are you able to get the list of permissions for your user so I can compare?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have some processes made just for CF that we've given full control over certain buckets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you have set here

johnb77214017_0-1708628814515.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like same as you:

sdsinc_pmascari_0-1708629031010.png

What about your ACL lists?
We have the CF keys with Read and Write access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only bucket owner

johnb77214017_0-1708697395035.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have an acl like this...
{
"Sid": "AddPerm",
"Effect": "Allow",
"Principal": "*",
"Action": "s3:*",
"Resource": "arn:aws:s3:::imgxxxxxx/*"
},

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to use any of the CF file functions using the S3 prefix?  Or, are there only certain functions, like fileDelete(), that are not working?

Wondering if you did not set the permissions, ussing the storeSetACL() function, on files that were uploaded?

Most of the time, after uploading a file, we immediately set permissions.  For instance,  if it's an image resource meant for display:

S3perms = [
{group="all", permission="read"},
{id="ownerid", permission="full_control"}
]

These perms allow our CF instance full control for later access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all tags/functions. Except for the "new" way.

So i recreated the whole config in my personal aws account and it works fine. so our admin has something else set that is denying this. Trying to explain that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it's on your AWS admin at this point.  Wish I could help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, he figured it out. Thanks for the help. Any troubles with directoryCopy() to S3? I just seem to get nothing. No errors even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it working!  Can you change the 'correct answer' on this thread?

Can't say I've every used the function directoryCopy().  To be honest, didn't even know it existed in CF until just now!

Learn something new each day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation