• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is Connect like as a standalone LMS?

Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need web conferencing or virtual classrooms - WebEx suits us fine for that.

I just need a basic way to host and track completion of SCORM content, and to host supporting documents in pdf format, for about 10000 learners

How does it compete for that?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question.

Many customers have discovered Connect offers a majority of features they desire for LMS at a fraction of the price of a large LMS system. It all depends on your needs. Adobe Connect is AICC compliant which is an alternative communication protocol versus SCORM. If you desire SCORM in Adobe Connect then you would need to use Adobe Presenter that can handle SCORM content. Adobe Presenter then handles the SCORM side/connection to  Adobe Connect. (I can provide a deeper description directly).

But the interesting question would be that you would be spending a lot of money to use WebEx and buy Adobe Connect with Presenter and essentially paying twice for web conferencing. You would have to buy the Adobe Connect Learning Module for the number of concurrent users. Many customers have switched to Adobe Connect for both web conferencing and elearning as it is more suited to the task and includes LMS features that Webex cannot handle. Additionally, you can save money buy using the on-premise version of Connect...something Webex cannot offer.

Suggest you contact an Adobe sales rep to get a quote.

If you send me and email with your contact info I can figure out what account team handles you and can get them in touch.

Heyward -  hdrummon@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Heyward

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by needing Presenter to handle SCORM content. I thought Presenter was a method to create SCORM content , not a playback module to serve it out through the LMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2011 Jun 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The AICC standard uses an HTTP-POST for communicating data between content and an LMS.  The SCORM standard uses Javascript to communicate much of the same data. Adobe Presenter can consume SCORM content and then use that with Adobe Connect. Adobe Connect cannot natively consume SCORM content for now (version 8 and earlier)

Note:  Adobe Connect Pro follows the AICC standard for its communication mechanism

Adobe Connect cannot handle SCORM content (version 8 and ealier) unless you utilize this script:

http://www.connectusers.com/tutorials/2009/01/scorm_tracking/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines