• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.acsm file format converter??

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for an ebook in the .acsm ( Adobe Digital Edition) format and did read it very well and it wont load into my sony reader as I only have the 500 not the new one. Is there any way to change the file format to either .pdf or .txt??? Because I would really like to read this book.

Thanks for any replies.
TOPICS
Install ADE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2008 Dec 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Its bit irritating to read books in DE for me, is there any possibility to convert it to PDF document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2008 Dec 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

salaithenaganj, dorita.

The document you are viewing in ADE, is most likely is a PDF document. However your real question is, "Can I view a Adobe DRM'd document (.ePub or PDF) in a program other than Adobe Digital Editions"

And the answer is: No.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2009 Jan 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried downloading an ebook that I just purchased, I got a message indicating I could not download the book because it was in .acsm or the link was bad. I tried downloading the most current adobe digital editions but was unable to because it is incompatible with my current operating system (MAC OS X 10.3.9). What can I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 05, 2009 Jan 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srodriquez,
I would talk to whoever you bought the book from and see if you can get a refund. You will only be able to view the resulting file with Adobe Digital Editions, and as you noted the ADE requires 10.4 or above.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2009 Jan 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I traied to open the ebook with adobe digital but it give me this error
Error geting license
license server communication problem

do anyone know the solution?
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the ADE on MACs detecting the sony reader to transfer the ACMS files on the reader, because i am tryinf if i doing it on a PC the ADE detecs the reader and i can authorize the reader on my account. but this is on a PC, what do i need to do in MACS. How can i transfer the ACSM file to the sony reader?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin,
As mentioned previously in this thread, the .acsm file is not your ebook, but just a key that will allow you (by using ADE) to get your ebook which will be either a PDF or ePub file.

The files line in your Digital Editions directory.

In order for the Sony Reader to display content (either PDF or ePub) with Adobe DRM the Reader must first be authorized. Since Sony does not provide the necessary drivers for this for Mac you will only be able to do this on a Windows machine.

Once you have the Sony Reader authorized, you will need to copy files directly to the Sony Reader using the Finder (note if you have the 500 model, you are out of luck).

One more note: if the content is from a Library it will not be transferrable from a Mac to the Sony Reader (again this can only happen from a Windows machine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a plugin or something I can download so I can highlight and take notes? I bought a textbook for class and can't do either of those things in ADE like I can with a PDF. I could live without the printing (hence why I bought a digi book in the first place) but the other stuff would be super helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to read your books on the computer through DME or are you reading on a Nook or other mobile device? I do not know of anything for reading on the computer, but the Nook has a way to highlight and type in notes. Not very easy to do but it can be done.

Sandy Scott

"I am a green e-mail!  My presence on the Internet does not harm our environment."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get on the Barnes and Noble website and download the ereader . This program will allow you to read, write notes, highlight, search, etc. Might also try B&N's text book reader which I think will also allow all of those functions. I've used the ereader but not the text book program.

Good luck, Dick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Don't have a Nook...am trying to read on my computer.

Is this feature going to be added at some point? I understand the need for

DRM but not being able to highlight and take notes doesn't make much

sense...especially since this is a textbook/technical type book.

And I tried someone's suggestion below about the Barnes & Noble reader but

it doesn't open the ACSM file which is all I got when I purchased the ebook

online...no PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can call Adobe directly at 1-800-642-3623 (this is their tech support #)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eReader cannot open an ACSM file but it can open an ePub file. Adobe Digital Editions is used to convert the downloaded ACSM file to ePUB format.

The following may work for you. It does on my MACs - both laptop and desktop. I doubt Windows based computers are much different.

Download ADE from Adobe. Once installed and authorized, click on your downloaded ACSM file and ADE should start up and convert the ACSM to an ePub file which will appear in the library view. You should also find the epub file in your digital editions folder. You can then open it in eReader or ADE and read it directly on your computer. eReader allows all the stuff you want to do.

No need for a Nook.

There appears to be several programs around that can read the epub format.

Incidently I think the ACSM file is just a license that allows you to read the epub file. I don't know if ADE actually converts the file or if it simply downloads the epub file.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got excited there for a moment but no luck. There's no ePub file for this

book anywhere on my machine. There are for other books I've bought in the

past. I think this book was just poorly done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2011 Feb 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joshuatree00101

When you double click on your ACSM file does ADE start up, work for a moment or so and then stop and nothing is any different?

Are you on a MAC or PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2009 Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alberto Cirigo & Jim Lester , many thanks, ur info was exactly what I needed to get access to my ebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have purchased an ebook in acsm format. I have ADE 1.7 installed.

When i click on the ebook it opens up ADE but is not available to read.

Any suggestions?
Ari

edit: i have now registered with ADE but im now getting a message as MichaelF got.

ill try and sort out connections and see if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started out with this problem but have fallen at the next fence
I have followed the instructions Adobe sent me and am still no further forward.
In the instructions it says plug in you Sony eReader and Digital Editions will detect it.
It does not.
If I select "Library" - Authorise Computer...
It tells me that my laptop is already authorised.
I have spoken to Sony and the eReader is working perfectly.
I have the book Bill Hybels - Just walk across the room in my Digital
Editions. I can read it in ADE but cannot transfer it to my Sony eReader.
I also have it in my eBook library but if I try to drag and drop it into the reader (which eBook Library can see) it gives the following message
"To transfer this eBook you must first authorise the Reader for Adobe DRM
protected content. Would you like to launch Adobe Digital Editions"
Yes/No. If I select yes it opens Adobe Digital Editions and I am back
where I started.
Please please help as I am getting very frustraited.
Someone must know the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2009 Mar 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a problem accessing .acsm files. Ironically, I can open PDF files on Acrobat Reader and ADE 1.7 but the eBooks with .acsm symbol can't be open. I have tried everything advised here but still no luck. This has happen to me countless times and I keep getting the message: "error getting license. Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO".
I have contacted the support center of the site from where I purchased my eBook but they said the problem's not on their end. Also, everytime I open an eBook, a PDF imprint of it would appear in the 'My Digital Editions' folder and they're the ones that I can open later on but I can't open the .acsm original in the path I designated for them ('eBooks'). Apart from the first successful attempt to open the eBook (usually after days and numerous tries), I can only access the book from the PDF imprint. Most won't open at all. Please help!!!!
I have already contacted Adobe Support Centre but have yet to get a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, then downloaded the urllink.acsm file. When I double click on the file it does nothing. How do I get it to open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2009 May 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I had the same problem - I was trying to download an e-book in a Safari browser, and the .acsm file would download, I'd double click it, and nothing would happen.  I was so frustrated and there didn't seem to be any answer as to why, so I tried downloading it again in Firefox.  In Firefox it asks you what program you want to open the file with, and as long as you've downloaded and authorised Adobe Digital Editions it should come up as the first option... just click yes and there you go!  Hope this helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help! I actually have a mobile reader that I

really like that uses/converts standard .pdf documents, and I bought

the .pdf book for that purpose. There was no disclaimer on the site I

bought the book from that the .pdf could ONLY be opened through

Digital Editions. I wanted to convert the .pdf I paid for use on my

portable, as I have all my other .pdf ebooks, which Digital Editions

does not allow. If there had been a disclaimer, I'd have no one to

blame but myself, but, as there was no mention of Digital Editions, I

was blatantly mislead. I contacted the vendor twice, but they never

answered my inquiry. I'm just more careful now, and refuse to purchase

any ebook bundled with Digital Editions.

Really, though, thanks for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and I'm sorry you had that problem. I'm still having the original problem with the .acsm files. I've given up. As soon as I find my one and only book in that format I am going to see if it will cross over. Otherwise I'll download it to another reader. Either way, I'm uninstalling the Adobe Digital Editions. I found the Microsoft eBook Reader and the Sony eBook reader. Both work well, and they might read your .pdf files. They read some of mine. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post here!  I hope this helps you!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/445354?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2009 Sep 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are fantastic!!! Thank you so much! I sent a note to Adobe and then found out I was going to have to wait up to 3 days for a response... and my homework is due today 🙂 Your double-click recommendation worked like a charm. Greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines