• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE in Android?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to read files protected with ADE on an Android phone? My local library has an ebook service, but they're all ADE ePub or PDF. I'd really like to borrow them. I have fbreader, but it won't touch Adobe's drm, obviously.

Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just wanted to share some info about Aldiko.

I received confirmation from Aldiko's support team that the next Android version (of Aldiko) will have support for ADE!

I quote: "This version of Aldiko app doesn't support Adobe DRM, the next version will  support it and it will be released soon."

Aldiko is listed on Adobe's "Digital Editions Supported Devices" page (http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices).

I've read and seen a lot of good things about Aldiko, so this is very promising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends,

Is it possible to use Adobe RMSDK on android ?

I want to develop android based reader to read DRM protected pdfs.

Please help me.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is possible to use RMSDK on Android, both on purpose built devices (Nook, Entourage Edge, Spring Design Alex, etc...), as well as for general purpose apps submitted to the Marketplace (Aldiko was already mentioned on this thread).

For more information on the RMSDK see http://www.adobe.com/devnet/readermobile/  (there are subsequent contact links on that page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone else has been having some problems, but I found that if I connected my phone via USB to transfer books I have problems both transferring and/or opening the book. 

This process worked for me!

On Phone:

- Install txtr to my phone

- Open txtr - in settings set up txtr user account and logon to Adobe Account using same email & passwords as I have in my Computer's Adobe Digital Editions

- Connect to PC via USB and enter adobe credentials to activate

DISCONNECT phone from computer!

On PC:

- Download library book to Adobe Digital Editions on computer.

- Logon to online txtr account, using same id and password as on phone, upload the book from my PC.

On Phone:

Open txtr, Select the Archive field, Inbox and download the books from txtr online, read!

On Samsung Fascinate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2011 Mar 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great on my Samsung Transform.  Thanks for the easy to follow directions!

and thanks to

@jitenderADE: post 21. Sep 8, 2010 1:07 PM

for finding txtr and starting this process.  It may be slow, but I can finally read my Adobe Digital Editions on my phone!  I have been trying to do this since July 2010 and am so happy to finally have a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i use an aldiko - and i even dont use PC anymore to get ebooks to the phone:

How to download acsm, Adobe ePub and Adobe PDF files directly from browser to Aldiko Book Reader?

Aldiko
posted this on Jan-15 20:23

To download acsm, Adobe ePub and Adobe PDF files directly  from browser to the Aldiko Book Reader, please first add the URL where  the files are located to the "My Catalogs" in Aldiko app, then open the  URL from Aldiko app to download the files. After that, your downloaded  eBooks will be automatically imported to your bookshelf in the app.

You can access "My Catalogs" at Home page of the Aldiko Book Reader app.

So its enough just to  copy and paste downloading acsm url from your favorite ebook seller... (and i after delete the catalog:-) book stays in the shelf)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been successful lately using txtr to get library pdf or epub books on my T-Mobile G2.

On my phone's txtr app, I download a book, it takes awhile with the blue screen, (at the bottom it says downloading 1.7 MB of 1.99 MB, etc), then a red box comes up and says, "Action Failed."

Has anyone else had this issue?  I tried both a pdf and epub book.

I have tried many things and many variations, including the following from your suggestions:

1. Connecting my phone to the PC, dragging the book in ADE over to my phone, then deleting on my phone the adobe digital editions files (or not).  Uploading to the txtr website on my PC with the pdf or epub file from My Documents\My Digital Editions folder.  When I drag a book onto my phone, txtr actually shows the book (in black), and one in gray (for me to download).  Both says "Action Failed" when I try to use them.

2. I have also not even connected the phone to the PC and just uploaded the pdf /epub to the txtr website.  It shows up on my phone's txtr app as gray for me to download.

3. I have deleted the phone's adobe digital editions folder.

I have noticed one thing on txtr's website.  When I go to Account ->DRM settings, and provide my Adobe password and hit save, all that happens is my Adobe ID is there, and the Adobe password remains blank.  Is that what you see as well?

(ps I would love to use Aldiko but I have to zoom in every page every time I turn the page on my little phone.  I love the Overdrive app- but only works for epub)

Any help would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just bought a Nook Color (Barnes and Noble and other places such as Best Buy) and had absolutely no trouble at all downloading a book from the library to ADE and then to my Nook!!  This new Nook is Android-based (2.1 -- no flash memory yet) although the Android operating system doesn't have an app market yet -- just the ones it comes with.  Supposedly they will open an app store tailored to the Nook Color after the first of the year.  I think they wanted to get it out the door for Christmas and didn't want it to be buggy -- so they just included things that worked well.

The color and resolution is pretty spectacular (7 inch screen) so that you can read magazines and children's books too.  It can play music, has pandora radio, stores pictures, has wi-fi so you can go on-line.  I easily got to google and my email on gmail.  It can read pdf files (they say that is done using quickoffice but you can't actually open quickoffice as an app, the file just opens when you tap it).  However, even though quickoffice can do 'reflow' pdfs on my droid phone that feature seems to be unavailable at the moment on the color nook.  There is no access other than wifi -- but that doesn't bother me since wifi is everywhere and you can always sideload things onto the SD.

I am very pleased with it since it allows the ADE downloads, has access to Barnes and Noble for purchasing new books, magazines and newspapers, can take an external card up to 32 GB and has 5 GB of memory on the internal card.  Although I have apps for Kindle, Kobo, and Borders on my Droid -- Barnes and Noble may wait on providing such apps for the Nook Color.

I think I have finally found my 'almost' dream reading device!  And it is pretty cheap relative to other color devices -- $250.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought a Nook Color and it is AWFUL. Does not read my .pdf books because of some glitch (it's supposed to). It does not read .pdb books, even though Barnes and Noble sells that format. Trying to open a library ebook and it requests a credit card number and the opening information for use on my hard drive doesn't work. So, at present, it reads about 1/4 of the ebooks I own. I am afraid to buy any more until I can afford to get something better. Adobe has answered none of my questions; and Barnes and Noble finally sent me a boiler plate note that wasn't helpful at all.

Strongly urge a pass on this ereader, at least until the bugs get worked out of it. Wish I had.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got impatient waiting for BN to upgrade the Nook Color to full android  support so i had mine 'rooted' by an expert i found on youtube ($60 -  or you can find the files on line and do it youself).

Now it reads pdf  fine (including wrapping the lines) by using the regular android version  of quickoffice (or any other pdf reader app), I then downloaded ereader and can read my pdb files and  download them from fictionwise, have the kindle app to read those  books.  And, of course it runs just about every other app for android  that doesn't require a phone.  I've had it rooted for 2 months and have  had no problems, no bugs.  Still has all the nook stuff underneath.  It  is completely reversable back to stock if needed.  Only problems is that  overdrive didn't work right but can still download digital editions  from the library through the desktop ADE.  Love it now- - like a baby  ipad.

In theory B&N is supposed to do this themselves (all the hardware underpinnings are there) but they have been dragging their feet.  I guess they don't want people to run Kindle and Ereader apps until they collect enough money from people by limiting what they can run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too cool--may I ask you who you found on youtube? Unfortunately, 'rooting' is

way beyond my knowledge base...Did you actually send him your unit (sounds

scary).

Thanks for the info; if nothing else, it is nice to know it is possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the files; am still awaiting a call back from the only techie guy in town

to see if he can get mine

'nootered'. Thanks again for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2010 Nov 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jsphilpo

First of all, the original post was made PRIOR to any android apps that supported ADE. Also, if you took your own advice and actually read through the messages here, you'd see that using some of these apps can be less than stellar. So this thread is actually warranted and helpful. Further more, some maturity on your part might help you from your  "sadness" and superiority complex. LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2010 Nov 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having serious problems getting this txtr thing to work. I'm not a computer wiz, but I'm no dummy either. I'm trying to get my library books onto my android 2.1 phone. I have txtr. I have a ADE account. I can read the books on my computer, but I can't get them on to my phone. I've been trying for a loooong time. The problem is, the book files download as .acsm files. Txtr does not recognize .acsm files so I cannot upload the book to txtr. How to I get txtr to recognize that file type, or how to I get my computer to save it as an epub file?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2010 Nov 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the acsm file with ADE, it downloads the epub file. Look in your Documents folder to find a folder called "My Digital Editions". The epub should be in that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this post still active.  I have a Droid X and yesterday download

ed the Overdrive App onto the phone and then just we

nt to my Library and checked out an epub book and it just worked.  Is that something

new?  Anyway it works fine on my computer with ADE and on my phone with Overdrive for Android.  Guess that is what you were looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My library mainly uses e-books protected in Adobe PDF. I have managed to get a few books to transfer via txtr but inconsistently. The library only has a few epub books. I'll ask them to also get epub books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New as of 12/7/10. And you're right, it works like a charm - able to

download books that were already charged out and can read on both desktop

and android, or can find new books and download direct from and to the

android phone. It's been 2 or 3 years since I was last able to download a

Adobe ebook to my Palm Treo, and it's a red letter day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Found this on:

http://mobiputing.com/2010/12/overdrive-app-for-android-ios-adds-support-for-epub-books-from-public-...

OverDrive Media Console is a free app for Android and iOS that lets you  download and listen to audio books from public libraries that use the  OverDrive service. But OverDrive doesn’t just power the audio book  lending services of most public libraries in the US, it also powers the  digital eBook distribution for those libraries. Up until now, though,  you couldn’t use the mobile app to read eBooks. It only worked with  audio books. Until today.

This article goes on to give more info and does a review of this app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link.  It guess I just tried to use the Android Phone for books at the right time.  Seems to work though and as the review mentioned, "I'm grateful for the fact that it works even if it isn't perfect" .   Now if I can just figure out how to dim or change the page color in ADE it will be better reading at night in a dark room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overdrive saves the day!!  I had Overdrive on my phone to listen to audiobooks but had

taken it off because it could only do MP3 and not WMA.  It was easier just to put audiobooks

on to my Sanyo Fuz which is really tiny and cheap with a long-lasting battery and could do either.

I am so happy with the news from the other contributors to this board that

the Overdrive app could now do epub books as of 12/6/2010!!  I could never get txtr to work for me.

(Of course this would happen the week after I finally bought an ereader -- the Nook Color).

I downloaded Overdrive to my Android phone and within minutes I was

connected to my library and downloaded the books I had checked out for

my Nook Color.  So now I can have my library books on both devices so if one runs out

of battery I have a back-up.  Or, if I don't feel like carrying around the Nook.

This now gives my phone pretty much complete access because on my Droid I have

apps for Nook, Borders, Kindle, Ereader (fictionwise) and Kobo.  I discovered I can also

download Kobo books through my laptop ADE and move them from there to my Nook

(the Nook doesn't have an app market yet).  Of course there is still the problem with the Droid and

WMA audiobooks -- but the Sanyo is so tiny it isn't a burden.  Now I just need a Droid with a

bigger screen.  Everything is converging.

See Adobe -- people have been asking for this for more than a year and you never did anything --

other apps developers had to do the job of a producing a decent product for reading DRM library books

on android phones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Overdrive on my Droid X android phone, but it only allows for ePub books... I am having trouble with the PDF version of the books.  The app is telling me to download it on my computer and then move it to my phone, but I cant get the Overdrive app to see the books..  I also have an QuickOffice that came with my phone that has a PDF reader,  and with that I can find the file, but it asks for a password to read it...

I also have the Aldiko app and again I cannot get the app to find the books. I may be doing something wrong with it, as I only drag and drop the files into the Aldiko folder on the phone... pretty new to this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2011 Jan 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the txtr app?  If you follow directions posted by " jitenderADE" October 1st it may work for this type of file.  It worked great for me w/library epub books until Overdrive came out with the Android app allowing direct downloads to device, love it!! 

You will have to use your Adobe username (your email address) and password as registered on the adobe site with either of these readers though.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Vomonte but I only use the epub books on overdrive and don't use Overdrive  on my computer.  However I do have several PDF books (free ones) and they show  up and open very nicely on the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software on my computer.  I use ADE  version 1.7.2.1131 for windows and it works very well for reading PDF books and  Epub books.  Be aware that it is very different than the Adobe Reader software  that is for pdf files which are not protected by Adobe DRM.   Maybe you can transfer the book from ADE into Overdrive  on your android.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines