Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Protected page issue sony prs505 adobe DE

Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am having a similar problem as noted previously.  I have adobeDE 1.17.1.1085 and the sony prs505.  I can download books from the public library, see them (and read them) in AdobeDE and also in the sony ebook library when the reader is connected. ADE is authorized on my computer. However if I try to access the same book on the prs505 ereader it says "protected page!".  The book is listed on the ereader.  I have already completed the runaround between Sony and Adobe. Sony said contact adobe for info to authorize the reader.  I tried the CTRL/shift/E found here in the forum and it said it deauthorized my reader-so it must have been authorized (ugh).    My first book worked, the second did not and I though I had disconnected from the library too soon, but with this third book I realized it is an issue.  Does anyone have a solution?  Ideas?  I have only had the Sony for a month.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - no luck with the new Sony software - I downloaded a purchased epub book (from new sony reader site) and it worked fine - added an epub library book which worked but my previous library books (pdf formats) became unusable (protected page) - I deleted all library books and re-transferred the PDF books.

Wondering if there is a way for us (as a group) to get someone (Sony,Adobe or Overdrive) to address this issue?  Also, wondering if this issue is specific to PRS 505's?  or is it also an issue with the new ereaders??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem on the PRS-300 also. It seems to work OK when the books are in the same format. When I downloaded new PDF files from the library, the epub book from the library was unreadable; but the PDF files were both OK. Sony claimed to be working on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly there has to be something we can do to speed up the process?

FYI - on my library site (British Columbia Libraries) there is actually an

FAQ describing this situation...See FAQ below:

I downloaded an eBook and transferred it to my Sony Reader. I was able to

read it before, but now when I try to open it, Sony Reader shows a

'Protected Page' error message. What should I do?

This is a known issue with some Sony Readers, wherein if borrowed eBooks in

one format are used on the Reader, then a borrowed eBook in an alternate

format is transferred to the same Sony Reader, eBooks in the most recently

transferred format will function while eBooks in the first format will show

the 'Protected Page' error. To use the desired format, transfer a title in

that format again. All borrowed titles in this most recently transferred

format will be usable.

Go figure... this is exactly what I do now and only borrow one format at a

time...Until then....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem everyone has described with my PRS-300.  I bought it specifically to use with library ebooks.  After hours of playing and talking to Sony tech support, I now have a sequence of steps that works. Note, as Adobe confirmed to me, I can't have both .EPUB and .PDF ebooks on my PRS-300 at the same time, so I am only using .PDFs, but I had problems consistently getting readable versions everytime I tried to add a new one - I read fast, so the problem hit me every few days. Here is what works for me (discovered with the help of Sony tech support person #5)

1.  Note the page you are on for the books you have started because you will lose that info.

2.  I assume your .PDF books have been downloaded from your library and you know where they are.

3.  Delete all books from your PRS-300 using the "Reader Library" software which launches when you plug in the PRS-300. Eject the PRS-300, close the "Reader Library" software and unplug the USB cable.

4.  Plug in the USB cable. The "Reader Library" software launches. Close it and open the Adobe Digital Editions.

5.  In Adobe Digital Editions, when you select the PRS-300, the books will show as "missing". Delete them and close Adobe Digital Editions

6.  Unplug the USB cable.

7.  Plug in the USB cable.  When the "Reader Library" software launches, close it without ejecting the PRS-300.

8.  Open the Adobe Digital Editions, drag all files to the PRS-300 and close the Adobe Digital Editions.

9.  Unplug the USB cable.  All the books should be readable.

So, it seems you must delete all the books from the PRS-300, make sure the Adobe Digital Edition thinks there is nothing on your PRS-300.  Close all the sofware on your PC and start from scratch to load all the books back.  If there is a shorter sequence of steps, I haven't found it, and am tired of experimenting.  I have tried this sequence more than once, so I think it will always work.  Remember all ebooks have to be the same format, either .EPUB or .PDF but not mixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2010 Feb 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with this problem on my PRS-505 reader too.  I had tried the solutions in the library FAQ'a noted in previous posts to no avail.

The nine step process that kellison3205 posted solved the problem for me.  I now have both PDF and ePUB books on my reader and can access them all.  Thank you so much for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused. kellison3025 states his reader is the 300 model.

His technique worked for the 505?

I apologize to all for sending me emails and not getting a response.

I tried but every time I'd write a response and hit reply it would come

back as undeliverable.

I guess I have to go directly to the site and not click the link that was

in the email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, kellison3205 described a solution he used with his PRS-300 reader but the original thread topic was to do with a PRS-505 problem and the symptoms I was experiencing were the same.  I just took a chance that the solution that worked on the PRS-300 may work on my PRS-505 also and it did.

The only difference I encountered is that my PRS-505 does not launch the Reader Library software when I plug in the USB cable.  I manually launched the Reader Library each time the "nine steps" indicated it was launched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this sounds complicated.

Too much for my poor brain to try tonight.

Tried to reply to your email again.

No go. I'll just have to bookmark this site.

Ebook readers-we will prevail!  LOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what - it is not just a problem with your version .I have just bought the PRS-T1 and have the same problem which no -one at sony seems able to help woth. Even worse - I bought it from a sony centre - they have just gone into administration and I cannot get my money back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I only download protected Epub books now. The problem occurs if you download protected PDFs and Epubs together. Most of the books in my library are in Epub format now so it's not much of a concern. If you accidentally load a protected PDF, delete all the books and ONLY load Epubs.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks susan - will try that out before my hair falls out!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update - I still have my PRS505 and do exactly as bogeycorgi suggests.  Very rarely do I download an ADOBE PDF from the public library (and when I do, I return my EPUBs first). 

As an aside, I recently purchased a KOBO for my husband and he is able to download both onto his reader with no issues.. 

Also...  our library (BC Libraries to Go) now carries an OPENPDF fomat  For testing purposes I borrowed one and transferred it to my reader - this format does not cause the same issues as the ADOBEPDF

Good luck and happy reading..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2012 Feb 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble . I have put your mail in a new file called 'Sony Problems' ! so I can work on things as I get my non techy head round things. Shelagh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have found is that:

I have Adobe Digital Editions loaded on my PC, but it is not running.

I have the latest Sony e-book software loaded and it is running.

After selecting the "borrowed" library books and going through the checkout to download them, when I click "download", the Sony software downloads it to your e-book library and you can move the book to your reader from there.  I've tried this a few times and seems to work for both PDF and EPUB books.

It seems to me that if the ADE software was actually running, ADE connected and downloaded the book rather than the Sony software and then I had significant problems transfering to the reader.  If the Sony software accepts the download, it seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with the prs300. I do not have ADE installed - only eBook Library. I can only get one library book to work on the reader at a time. I have to return the books and re-checkout to get a single book to work once I get the Protected Page message. I called Sony and they said they are working on the issue, but I don't have much confidence after reading this Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2009 Dec 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a msg this morning indicating Sony is upgrading their sony store site and there will be an update to the software after Dec 12th.  The intention of the update is to move towards epub format so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the issue will finally be fixed.

In the meantime, try borrowing books with the same format. (epub or pdf).  as per my previous post I only borrow pdf books (mixing epub and pdf gives inconsistent results) and can transfer all by library books to my reader without getting protected page situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Just sent you a message. Keep your fingers crossed.....(ps nothing

will work for me; tried your suggestion....)_

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, all will be resolved when they update the Sony site on the

11th!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, was is software release is on your reader. Perhaps when Sony updates

the ereader website tomorrow, my issue will go away! Your process does not

work on my reader.

I do appreciate your reply.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read with interest your solution for the reader 505 nightmare.

What did you do to get the book to download directly to

the ebook library and bypass DE?

I cannot believe how long this is taking to resolve.

A few days ago I downloaded the latest update to the

elibrary/estore. Haven't tried it yet.

Guess I'm afraid either the reader will blow up or

I will.

Message was edited by: my9cats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did 'open' on the 'URRLink.acsm' the Reader Library opened. Today I

just update DE and now hitting 'open' on the URRLink.acsm opens DE. The

first time I opened the Reader Library software it had a message saying

something about .EPUB files not associated any longer with it. I didn't let

it change the association. If you go to Windows Explorer - and open

Tools/Folder Options - and select the File Types tab, you can find the .ACSM

and change it to open the Reader Library. At this point, I am not sure if

that matters. You can also import files into the Reader Library.

I still get inconsistent results since I don't always follow my 9

steps. Sometimes it still takes me a couple of tries, but I get the desired

results after 1or 2 tries so I am not getting so frustrated. I still can't

get both .EPUB and .PDF files to work at the same time.

By the way, kellison3205 is a 'she'. It was weird reading about me referred

to as 'he'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that.

Was probably associating with Garrison Keillor.

A favorite of mine......

Getting reagy for work and big snow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you have Adobe DE installed. Do you use it to read books on your computer? I don't have it installed and have not had any problems reading library books which are in the same format. I still can't read DRM protected ePUB and PDF at the same time on the Sony Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for me, I have Overdrive to download library books.

If there is a way to bypass DE it must be a state secret.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use Adobe DE anymore and it probably does not need to be installed. I only use the Sony Reader Library software. I do not have a problem if all of the books are in the same format, i.e. all EPUB, or all PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines