• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions for Linux

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a losing battle, that Adobe has no intention of working with Linux users BUT I am trying my best to buy and read books legally. I'm hoping that someone out there has found a way of doing it and can help me out.

I've been buying and reading epub books on an android tablet, but it's not the most comfortable form of reading and I've recently been given an ereader to which I would like to add the books I have already bought and paid for.

I've installed ADE via Wine but it's incapable of opening my acsm files. Once or twice (in several dozen attempts) it has succeeded in downloading an epub in which any non standard characters are replaced by question marks. Closing ADE loses the file, it's not there when the program is reopened. 

Is there any legal way to obtain ebooks for Linux users or is Adobe encouraging us to be pirates? It's absurd to have to download a pirated version of a book which I have already bought and paid for and I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered paying for it in the first place. Are book publishers deliberately excluding Linux users or is Adobe forcing this on them? (Do publishers even realise how much of a deterrent ADE is to buying and paying for books?)

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
ACSM files , DRM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Thorium reader will not help with library books.  Library books require ADE.  I hasve just moved to Linux Mint and have not succeded in getting ADE via Wine to download library books.  At the moment I am keeping my Win 7 pc just for library books.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what the epub files are on your hard drive but they won't open? That is strange indeed.

I had a problem getting ADE to detect my e-reading device but now I happily borrow e-books from the library. I download the acsm file and just drag it from File manager to ADE and voila epub file downloads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same situation. There is currently no way to download a legally purchased epub without Digital Editions and it is difficult or impossible to get it to run on Linux. I run Ubuntu 18.04LTS and I have tried every permutation of the available Digital Editions and dotnet packages in Wine and none of them works for me. I really wish Adobe would release at least a basic tool for downloading epubs on Linux. This shouldn't be hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People have been asking for a GNU/Linux version for more than 11 years...plenty of time to get a Linux Version. Definitely, Adobe doesn't care much for providing a proper port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest using Thorium Reader instead, that it provides a GNU/Linux version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thorium reader will not help with library books.  Library books require ADE.  I hasve just moved to Linux Mint and have not succeded in getting ADE via Wine to download library books.  At the moment I am keeping my Win 7 pc just for library books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to use Wine. There are native versions of Thorium that works on Linux and Mac, I have used it for library books without problems and I will be happy to record a video.

In case you want to use ADE with wine I also documented it here https://vejeta.com/prestamo-de-libros-en-bibliotecas-digitales/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I have downloaded Thorium.  Unfortunately UK libraries all use acsm files (Overdirive) which Thorium does not recognise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines