• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Protected by Digital Rights Management" Error on E-Reader

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Sony PRS-T1 e-reader with Adobe Reader software installed. It is authorized to read DRM content. Using my PC, I download an e-book from library/Freading. The PC version of Digital Editions is able to open the book fine. However, Digital Editions on PC does not recognize the e-reader. As such, I decided to try transferring the epub file (located under Documents/My Digital Editions) to the e-reader manually. However, while I can see the book, attempting to open it generates this error.

I am not sure if this question would be better directed to a Sony forum or not, but I would really appreciate any pointers on the matter. For example, would a compatibility issue between the version of Digital Editions on my PC (4.5) and the presumably significantly older one on the e-reader cause this? Are there any other files aside from the e-pub itself that the device might need to ensure that i have permission to read the book?

I am not really familiar with DRM technology, so I would really appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still interested in an answer?

I use Ubuntu/Linux 18.04 and a Sony PRS-T2. I can run Adobe Digital Editions in Ubuntu through Wine.

I'm surprised that you write that your PRS-T1 is authorized to read DRM-content. How did you get is authorized? I think you're mistaken because ADE doesn't recognize Sony e-readers. So you can't authorize a Sony e-reader through ADE. You CAN authorize your PRS-T1 through Sony Reader for PC. Sony doesn't produce e-readers anymore and there's no support neither for e-reader-users nor for the Reader-software. But Reader for PC is still available. The only thing is: Reader is not available for Ubuntu/Linux. It works with me through Wine though. Unfortunately and strangely enough Reader via Wine doesn't recognize my Sony PRS-T2 either.

What I did was: I used a Windows computer with Sony's Reader for PC installed. Then I could authorize my PRS-T2 in Reader for PC through my Adobe account. Then I downloaded books (e-pub) with DRM from the library to my computer and from there I could transfer them to my PRS-T2, not directly with ADE (because ADE still doesn't "see" my e-reader) but in the way that you describe (from the folder ../Documents/My Digital Editions). And I can open my library books on my PRS-T2 with the DRM lifted (for three weeks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue and was about to throw the whole thing away. I finally got it to work by renting and downloading a book from the library (Overdrive); opening it with Adobe Digital Editions (with the computer and device both authorized); transferring it to my e-reader; opening Reader for PC software; dragging the book from my e-reader to the "library" (I was prompted to authorize again); then doing a sync between device and Reader for PC. I then ejected the book via Reader for PC. It finally opened on my reader!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines