• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I Model/Create Objects in Dimension CC?

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am new to the Dimension CC program. I am just wondering is it similar to cinema 4D where you can create models and objects from scratch or is it purely for rendering existing 3D objects used from stock or created in other programs?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

The latter.  Dimension has no modeling or creation at this time.  It is aimed for graphic designers to easily take pre-made content (stock content or assets from their 3D team at larger companies) and apply graphics, logos, and labels to the 3D shapes.  It is also a compositing app for easily adding 3D objects to 2D background images using Match Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latter.  Dimension has no modeling or creation at this time.  It is aimed for graphic designers to easily take pre-made content (stock content or assets from their 3D team at larger companies) and apply graphics, logos, and labels to the 3D shapes.  It is also a compositing app for easily adding 3D objects to 2D background images using Match Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette,

Okay thank you for clearing that up!

I will continue using cinema 4D for modeling then.

Thanks,

[details removed by ussnorway]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still following, I've made a video tutorial on how to create objects (.obj) in Photoshop for those not familiar with 3D interface software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acameron - Thank you it's helped me no end 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video is brilliant. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never knew it could be this simple and easy... you rock! 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to provide this very helpful video. I have previous experience with 3D modeling, my first exposure being the first version of Adobe Dimensions circa 1995 to make rudimentary objects, then moved further into 3D using more in-depth software such as Strata 3D CX - which I used at length to create 10th scale models of Trade Show Exhibits. It has been quite some time since my professional work called for 3D models, so I got rusty and unfamiliar with current software. Now I am back at it, expoloring what software is out there and I have been using TinkerCad by Autodesk, Shaper3D and the current version of Adobe Dimension. I was completely unaware that Adobe Photoshop had 3D modeling capabilities! But the process and interface are rather familiar and work basically as all 3D software I have used previously. So your video was exxtremely helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has since removed 3d from Photoshop

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-3d-features-are-being-remov...

however there is a simple 3D tool sticky taped into the later Illustrator builds that covers some needs if you only have Adobe software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you can do something but not in Dn.

My workflow for this is using Ai for the 3D with the new features and like i made for this project (all made with AI & Dn, no 3D software inside) : https://www.behance.net/gallery/121394707/Black-watch-project

You need to create a font with fontself and use it in Dn and play with the otion of letter tool.

I think with the new 3D tool in AI you can do aa lot of work but with limitation. And the option to export a file as an OBJ file is very awesome.

If you want to know more about this workflow and if i can help you feel free to ask !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so very much for sharing such an amazing project! Very impressive what you have accomplished with the toolset currently available in Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines