• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get Translucency to create transparent objects

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a transparent wrapper in Dimension so you can see the contents within. The wrapper has a Decal applied so I can't use the transparency setting. A search tells me to use the translucency setting.

In the Design window playing with this parameter gives me the look I want is rather crudely rendered. However when I do a proper render the wrapper just ends up white opaque.

What am I doing wrong and while I am at it can someone give me some decent settings for a crear plastic wrapper with relections on it?

I'm using Dimension 1.1.1 which is the highest version my Mac supports.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
How to , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

MATERIAL_ALUMINUM should be in V1.1 and that makes a good 'transparent wrapper' if you set opacity to 44-55% and matalic to 40-60%

plastic bag exampleplastic bag example

[A search tells me to use the translucency setting.]

translucency is a different thing mate, white is the default inner colour but other colour and no-colour i.e, blank pixels also work well for some senarios... the new Dimension builds have major issues with blank pixels so you are better off with V1.1 sometimes

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MATERIAL_ALUMINUM should be in V1.1 and that makes a good 'transparent wrapper' if you set opacity to 44-55% and matalic to 40-60%

plastic bag exampleplastic bag example

[A search tells me to use the translucency setting.]

translucency is a different thing mate, white is the default inner colour but other colour and no-colour i.e, blank pixels also work well for some senarios... the new Dimension builds have major issues with blank pixels so you are better off with V1.1 sometimes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

Have you ever successfully tried to make a decal applied to an object and make the  object disappear in rendering, but keep the decal opaque?  I see a lot 'solved' notations on this question, but although everyone has suggestions, I have never seen one actually 'do it'/ thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a capture for transparent cube with decal applied on it surface for Dn latest drop in render preview mode. It possible to implemt in Dimension

Annotation 2020-08-14 194231.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input...I must being doing something wrong, I still can't get the object the decal is applied to 'disappear' from the render and leave the decal 'floating' in space...on your example I still see the 'reddish' ube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't get this to work, despite further searching very much seemed to indicate that Translucency was the right direction to be going in. It worked in the preview but not in the actual render.

Finally I got around it by rendering twice. Once with the decal removed and using transpaency settings based on those supplied above, and then again with the decal applied and tranparecy removed and comping the two results together in Photoshop. 

Not the ideal solution but it got me a usable image in time to meet my deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying...it may be it is just something that Dimension cannot currently perform...thanks again...I am still bewildered by all the listing here for this rquest as 'Solved', when in reality it isn't...sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to unmark the answer is correct, so hopefully that will stop people being confused.

What version of Dimension are you on? I have had to revert to V1.1.1 as the later versions don't work on my Mac despite being able to download and install them. It may be that the most recent version has sorted this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

I am working on a Mac with latest os-Catalina 10.15.6 and Dimension 3.3 and latest Beta of Dimension

I come to the conclusion that it's just not possible yet...so I have to exercise my "Fruit of the Spirit-Patience" 

Have a great weekend and thanks for learning together! BTW I love Dimension!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be clear, transparency is rendored correct in version 1 of Dimension because it's using the NVIDIA system

Apple Mac is fighting with NVIDIA so Adobe moved with them to untested new drivers which means transparency stopped rendoring from version 2 onwards i.e you dig up old threads = out dated information

People who have current version of Dimension should use an opacity map to work around is limitations until Apple Mac gets off their backs and sorts their drivers... Don't hold your breath!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines