• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste dimension objects between different scenes.

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A greeting. Question: If I create an object with primitives in DM then how can I copy it and paste it into a different rendering scene? Do I have to recreate the object from new? Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

There is no way to do this currently.  Please feel free to share ideas and vote on our feedback forums.

Import / Add Custom Items to Assets – Adobe Dimension CC Feedback Portal

We do plan to allow users to save their custom models locally (through export) and to CC Libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and no

1. for people that don't know... primitives = basic objects such as cubes, spheres, planes and cylinders etc
  2. you can group these into one object and make a different background... you can also 'save' the dn file so you don't have to remake the object

However you can't save the 3d model on it own... not yet... so I would make the model in some other software then import it to Dimension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your speed. So it is a NO.

Save the DN file (with the object) and then create a new scene.

Could it be a shortcut if you could save the file (object=primitive) in the Cloud Library?

Greeting!

Alessandro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Datatellers+-+StartUp  wrote

Could it be a shortcut if you could save the file (object=primitive) in the Cloud Library?

that would be my pick but the team has not linked Dimension up to the cc library yet... you can take background | decal images from there but you can't save anything back in

what I do is make the primitives in Photoshop... a Photoshop 3d layer can be saved to your cc library and stored | shared as needed (strange times we live in when Photoshop is the better tool for a 3d job)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to do this currently.  Please feel free to share ideas and vote on our feedback forums.

Import / Add Custom Items to Assets – Adobe Dimension CC Feedback Portal

We do plan to allow users to save their custom models locally (through export) and to CC Libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems a natural enough idea to save out material customised Dimension objects - to be reused in another dimension file. Given that users would put a lot of work into the object. Will this be available in future? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it won't. Adobe have stopped developing Dimension and want you to pay more for Stager, rather than doing the decent thing and let customers decide what they want under the one subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five years later and this isn't an option? I've just spent many hours learning Adobe Dimension to find it limiting in so many ways. Not being able to re-use objects I've created is sudden death - can't find a reason to upgrade to the paid offering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's pretty damn annoying. But as stated earlier if you want to brings a previous 3D object into your current scene, Import it as a 3D object and then delete whatever your don't need. Dimension is crying out for a major update in so many ways as you say, but it's not going to happen. Adobe needs even more of your money (apparently) to pay for Stager etc. You could learn Blender, it's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Howard, I missed that in the thread! I was able to import from another document, so I appreciate you.

To your point, DN isn't ready for prime time, but ridding 3D in Photoshop forces users into Stager, when..not ready for prime time. I have no idea whether I'd be able to create the models I need in there - not much specific literature. The suggestion of just going into Adobe Stock for models is dubious..those suck (at least for designers anyway). Maybe that's the problem, Adobe has forgotten their software is actually for designers, the Pantone debacle makes that obvious.

Heck, if they want another $80 a month from me, between Stock and Surface/Stager, I need a surface that looks like..I dunno..paper?! What do they think we're doing with those box models anyway?

Ugh...rant over.

I've tried Esko, and I'm learning Blender, but the curve is steep. I guess if I need more control, I'll have to move on from DN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help Michele. Yes, it's annoying. Adobe could easily allow custom subscriptions but they don't. I'm not paying a further £47 GBP for the Stager suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines