• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom 3D Object from Photoshop .obj Artwork (decal) not showing on 3D Object in Dimension

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What could be causing my custom 3D object from Photoshop not to display an Artwork Decal in Dimension? I place it on the object and it does not appear.
I can see it when I change it to fill but it does not display correctly.
What can I check in Photoshop and reexport my shape so it displays correctly?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

I have your file and I'll post the repairs as soon as my laptop finishes the 2nd rendor

Download files + my working out 

Screenshot (4003).pngScreenshot (4013).pngScreenshot (4017).pngScreenshot (4019).pngScreenshot (4021).pngScreenshot (4027).png

tools used

my old work laptop, TP500L running W10 [build 1709]

Adobe Photoshop [2018]

Adobe Dimension V2

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you prob just forgot to add a UV map in Photoshop before exporting it

fix = ask Dimension to generate a UV map for it

uv map.png

note; ime Photoshop makes better UV maps than Dimension but for most basic shapes it doesn't really matter which software you make it with as all as the model has got a map

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this and this seems to be why my decal wasn't showing. But now it's appearing on what appears to be the inside of the object revesered. How can I get it to appear on the outside of the shape? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your file for testing?Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached the .obj file.

Linked File 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have your file and I'll post the repairs as soon as my laptop finishes the 2nd rendor

Download files + my working out 

Screenshot (4003).pngScreenshot (4013).pngScreenshot (4017).pngScreenshot (4019).pngScreenshot (4021).pngScreenshot (4027).png

tools used

my old work laptop, TP500L running W10 [build 1709]

Adobe Photoshop [2018]

Adobe Dimension V2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to see the object like in your second screenshot. Showing the different surfaces. The final bottle looks awesome! Is it possible to keep the cap separate? I was hoping to apply a different material or fill to the cap compared to the rest of the bottle. Or is there a different way to do this in Dimension without having to separate the object? That is why I was trying to keep it separate in the original file.
Thank you for showing me what is going on and making a new render!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry mate I didn't realise that was meant to be a lid... I'll be home in a few hours and will add it for you

I added a small lip to help with lining things up... artistic licence 🙂 [just download the files again]

Screenshot (4033).pngScreenshot (4037).pngScreenshot (4038).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. I tried viewing the linked file it doesn't show that it has a file extension. When I tried downloading and opening in Dimension and received the error that the file doens't contain any polygon imfromation.

I'll post a screenshot of what I'm seeing in Photoshop. If you have suggestions what is causing my object to not render correctly from my Photoshop screenshot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my screenshots

Photoshop ScreenshotPhotoshop ScreenshotIllustrator OutlineIllustrator Outline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes sorry again, the first issue is because Adobe servers are busted so they miss name cloud files, just rename the downloaded file to add .zip on the end and it will work correctly... I did report this issue to Adobe but the error is at their end so I can't do more than that

rename.png

the second issue with your bottle is because of two reasons

1. you used smart vectors

2. more important is that you didn't close the loops

look at my screenshot of the path... its a closed loop i.e, double line

you also want a lid to be a little bit outside the bottle itself so that it fits over it instead of on top

good luck mate and keep the questions coming... we will get there in the end 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have a solution for everyone on this, it will require that you download blender, but blender is free. This is very easy I promise, I've spent less that 30 minutes on blender in my life and I got it right on the first try. I got the info on how to do it here: https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409589482258-I-want-to-export-OBJ-files-to-Procreate-...
But for convenience I'll explain what to do.

1.Whatever program you made the model in, export it as an .obj.

2. Open Blender and create a new document.
3. There will be a cube in the document, select it by clicking on it, then hit "X" and then hit "Enter" that will delete the cube.
4. Once you have done this, go to File>Import> and select Wavefront (.obj)

5. Find your file and import it into blender.

6. Across the top menu bar you will see a menu item called "UV Editing", click on it and the screen will split into two viewports.
7. In the right viewport, at the top, you will see another menu bar, and in it will be an item labeled "UV". Click on it and select "Smart UV Project" from the dropdown.
8. A window will pop up that says "Smart UV Project", don't change any of the settings, just select "OK"
9. Then go to File>Export> and select Wavefront (.obj)
10. You are good to go! Go find the newly imported file and add it into your Adobe Dimension project and it will take Decals no problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jackson5FEE  please stop spamming BS on this forum, your convert to Obj idea is not going to help the OP because his issue was in the way he made the model not what file type he exported it as

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me or I wouldn't have shared it. Your hostility is not appreciated or warranted. If it doesn't work for someone else it doesn't work, but it solved my problem, (WHICH WAS GETTING A DECAL TO PROPERLY APPLY TO A CUSTOM OBJECT IN ADOBE DIMENSION) so I shared it.
Also, my solution has less to do with the file type and more to do with the UV mapping, the format would seem to be incidental.
AGAIN, if I thought it was, in your words, "BS", I wouldn't have shared it, but I felt that if it helped someone get something done and saved them time, it was worth sharing, especially since none of the posts I found on this issue (including yours, incidentally) helped me. Not sure why you are being so protective of the information flow on this forum, but you need to chill. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok you want help then place your idea once in a thread of its own or to someones question that hasn't been answered years ago... posting the same post to 3 different old threads is just spam

but good luck to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guess what? I did it, and it's done, and I'm not taking it down. I'm sure you could get it taken down out of spite if you wanted to but that would quite petty and childish wouldn't it? I put it in every place I searched for the answer and didn't see it, because I figured I can't be the only one searching for the answer to my same problem in these places that has yet to find a useful one. The fact that this bothers you so much is weird, it's clearly not an issue you had (which is fine) and thus, shouldn't be your problem. I refuse to believe that you have nothing better to do with your time than harass me for trying to help people so maybe go take the dog out or do the dishes or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines