• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Models rendering with weird grey fog?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm mocking up some product models using some custom models provided by our third party printers, and most of the time, the files seem to have trouble. I'm applying shrink-wrap labels, which have been mapped onto the model by our print service. Sometimes, when trying to render or preview the render, the object shows fully white with my applied label barely even visible. Sometimes, throwing a standard model plane (or several) into the scene allows the file to re-load and will show the label. I don't know what that's about, but throwing in standard models so far has let me continue to work around that.

I'm also having trouble with a strange grey or pixelation coating the models. It's visible only in the render preview and the render. If I turn off render preview, the models look fine. (I only mention this because when the model turns almost fully white, that is visible whether render preview is turned on or not.) This is the issue I haven't been able to get around. 

I've been able to make crisp, clear renders of these models before. What am I getting wrong? I'm not sure what could be causing it.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Hi 

Thanks for the tag Graham.

Without seeing the models and textures we are guessing a little. Some things to check though.

1. Is there a single surface at each location in 3D space? If a label and bottle are modelled separately and placed in the same exact location then path tracing will look strange as it will get conflicts when it hits those locations. The way to avoid that is to adjust the scale and location of the label so it is separate to the bottle.

2. If the label is not a separate mod

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the gray look is noise... i would try change the bottle material

the squares are shadow from rendor of an object = normally this happens when a model is hidden but still in the scene and the fix is to remove them

Model Grey Fog.pngModel White Error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The squares on the "floor" in the second image are actually the plane models I was throwing in there to get an example of the white bottle error. The main thing I'm showing in the second image is that the model has ghosted white over top of my label.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the bottle material but as soon as I re-applied the label graphic to the label, the noise reappeared. Is there something I've misunderstood?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these 3 bottles duplicated from the original on scene or imported separately in Dn. Also can you try to duplicate instances from the correct object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These bottles were each imported from the same .obj file. I did try again importing 1 and duplicating it, but there was no change. There is still the issue with the noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so we have a bottle made of glass, a label + another model covering it all that set to plastic?

the white noise will be transparence which Adobe can't rendor correct now they moved to metal drivers... you could try to counter it with different box lighting [like using a photo of a table instead of basic white] but ime Blender is the better tool for these types of product shots

@davescmmay have more ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Thanks for the tag Graham.

Without seeing the models and textures we are guessing a little. Some things to check though.

1. Is there a single surface at each location in 3D space? If a label and bottle are modelled separately and placed in the same exact location then path tracing will look strange as it will get conflicts when it hits those locations. The way to avoid that is to adjust the scale and location of the label so it is separate to the bottle.

2. If the label is not a separate model but is just mapped onto the surface texture then :

a. Make sure the label is mapped onto all relevant channels and not just Base Color. For example you don't want translucency in the label area.

b. Make sure the UV islands are not overlapped in the way the bottle is unwrapped. That would result in the same path tracing errors that overlapping models create.

If you want to PM me a link to the problem file, I'll take a look at it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello davescm,

Number 1 is absolutely the issue! The model is made of several separate parts and it seems they do overlap. I adjusted the model to avoid the conflicts and the grey fog is gone! Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome šŸ™‚

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines