• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embossing on Dimension

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to dimension but have a question around embossing and what's possible.

I've been doing some spirits work and have managed to make a pretty standard spirits bottle in Illustrator > Photoshop > Dimension via youtube tutorials. My original design has some embossing on the structure itself and wondering if theres anyway to work with embossings in dimension.

My hypothesis was if I could make the embossed graphic its own 3d object, and use that object as the "decal" to warp it onto the structure. So instead of adding a graphic decal, adding an object (Which I see isn't possible).

Is the only way to have embossings via a photoshopped graphic that appears embossed?

Thanks

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

adding an object = label and yes that is possible

I made this example for another user but it also works here...

I don't think we agree on what "embossings' are so if we can agree that part of your bottle needs to be different i.e, the label bit then yes but otherwise please post an image or your file so we can see what you mean

what do you want?what do you want?

example Dn file

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding an object = label and yes that is possible

I made this example for another user but it also works here...

I don't think we agree on what "embossings' are so if we can agree that part of your bottle needs to be different i.e, the label bit then yes but otherwise please post an image or your file so we can see what you mean

what do you want?what do you want?

example Dn file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In additon to Ussnorway  comments I want to add that you can use Normal maps to create Emboss Image if you create Normal map in Photoshop and import into Normal icon on Property panels.

https://youtu.be/Mm0p6Wf2-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ares, could you explain how to save the 3d normal maps from photoshop to import to dimensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of what you can achieve using normals. You have to play with scale and x,y coordinates for aligning the map and decal.  

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 11.41.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do this? Is there a tutorial somewhere? Looks great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

watch the vid Ares posted or make your map in some other software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Just watch the video. Do you know how to export the maps from PS into Dimensions? What do I save it as? This portion is not explained in the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also found that just placing the maps into a library within PS that they are easy to drag into Dimension vs saving out as a file externally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a normal map is basiclly a blue image, if you are a Mac user then your best option is to export that from Photoshop as 1024 X 1024 Png... as a Windows user I tend to make mine 2048 X 2048 Jpg

p.s, thats pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to bring in a normal map or a roughness map, it comes in as a pattern vs a single graphic. There seems to be no way to just size and position these without making it into a repeat pattern which reduces it in size. Is it possible to bring these in as a single graphic so that I can size and position as needed? I want to emboss just one area, not an all-over pattern of the entire surface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines