Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create new materials?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question: I'd like to create new materials in Dimension CC, but I have two problems:

1. In the properties panel, some propoerties don't show up (I don't have interior, shape and textures options). Do you know why is that?

Zrzut ekranu 2019-01-06 o 22.53.10.png

2. If I place an image on a shape and would like to keep this as a material in the materials panel, can I do that somehow?

I would be glad if you could help me!

Thanks,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

sorry Jive isn't working so I didn't know you asked a new question until today;

Adobe material settings come in 3 options;

active,

Screenshot (1902).png

inactive,

Screenshot (1903).png

or texture

Screenshot (1901).png

in your first example of concrete the material isn't one of the Adobe defaults so you got it from stock or some other place and the setting is prob turned off i.e, if the opacity is 100% (as concrete should be) then there is little point to having 'interior colour' because you will never see it but the slider will still be in with 'interior' above 'sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q1. yes you do have the settings but the UI was made for ipads not computers

the base settings are; Surface, Interior and Shape but the arrows are tiny little suckers and its very easy to scroll the ui up | down and hide the settings you need to find... Yes Adobe knows about it

1.png

2.png

3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q2. if you are talking about adding your own custom materials that you make your self (as different to paying Adobe stock fees) then yes and no

i normally just pay for mine as I'm lazy

yes you can add another image as a material texture and yes you can save the entire dn file as a way to keep that edit but no you can't "save" that new material into Dimension for use on other projects because Adobe doesn't offer that option

10.png

now if you goto the materials folder, happen to know how to edit the *mdl file in some way and drop that new material into dimension then thats up to you

Screenshot (1887) - Copy.png

wood_american_elm_basecolor.jpg

Screenshot (1895).png

* in this case mdl = THE NVIDIA MATERIAL DEFINITION LANGUAGE not to mixed up with that other Google "me to" MATERIAL DESIGN LANGUAGE which is such joy to use as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ussnorway!

But I really don't have these options (in the desktop version), please take a look at the slider on the right- it's on the bottom, there's nothing more to this panel, just properties and transcluscence..

Zrzut ekranu 2019-01-11 o 08.10.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and thanks for the other answer, I'll play around with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry Jive isn't working so I didn't know you asked a new question until today;

Adobe material settings come in 3 options;

active,

Screenshot (1902).png

inactive,

Screenshot (1903).png

or texture

Screenshot (1901).png

in your first example of concrete the material isn't one of the Adobe defaults so you got it from stock or some other place and the setting is prob turned off i.e, if the opacity is 100% (as concrete should be) then there is little point to having 'interior colour' because you will never see it but the slider will still be in with 'interior' above 'shape' and below 'surface' because that is how the ui was designed

Screenshot (1916).png

you do have the same Dimension I have and Adobe tries to make the ui work for everyone but the ui allows you to open | close the little arrows which can make it look like options are not there... go back to my first post, the last two screen grabs are the same ui but in one I have scrolled the word 'surface' under the ui so it looks like 'base color' sits under 'properites' in one when in fact its 'surface'

so to be clear, if you import a mdl from outside then one option or another may be disabled by whom ever made it but the setting itself will still be there and if you do want concrete to have an internal colour for some effect then you can edit the mdl to turn that setting back on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I get it now, thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF you mean "active slider" for any property - they became inactive if any image has been used as texture for that property. You need to click on "square" on the right and delete that image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines