• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import a folder with hundreds of OBJ files?

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to import 300 obj files into Dimension.

If this is not possible, then I am able to generate a single obj file with the content of the 300 original obj files. But then I am not sure how to break them into independent object for further manipulation in Dimensions. (this can be asked independently of my first question).

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Hi Yaron!  Dimension can't import multiple .objs at once.  If you save them as a single .obj file with multiple objects then those will still be separate objects in Dimension and you can move, rotate, and scale them independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if I understood your question, because I am translating into Brazilian Portuguese. But I'll try to respond. For the knowledge I have, Adobe Dimension does not import more than one obj at the same time. You can import and copy (ctrl + d), to have independent objects or to create an instance (ctrl + c / ctrl + shift + v), to have objects dependent on the modifications made, that is, if you modify one, modify the other. But these modifications do not apply to the object's dimensions. You can import and create group instances as well ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yaron!  Dimension can't import multiple .objs at once.  If you save them as a single .obj file with multiple objects then those will still be separate objects in Dimension and you can move, rotate, and scale them independently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette,

This might depend on the way the obj is generated,

- I have 500 objects that I can save as a single .obj file. The way I save it, the file contains a single object with 500 different connected components (in terms of the faces). When I load this single file to Dimension it will not be shown as separate objects according to the connected components, but will rather treat the entire scene as a single object. In this scenario, I am saving the 500 objects as 500 obj files and then need to load them 500 times.

Allowing to load several obj files (e.g. multiple-selection on the obj import/load function), will make things way easier.

Thanks,

Yaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it absolutely depends on how the models are created.  If they are separate objects with their own transform in the original 3D application than they should be separate objects with their own transform in Dimension.

In your 3D app you can probably split the connected parts into separated objects.  Dimension does not have that capability yet but definitely something we can look into.

I recommend posting ideas and suggestions to our feedback community as that is where we will track votes, update status, and let you know when it's available.  Sounds like two new suggestions for importing multiple files and having a split mechanism inside of Dimension!  Adobe Dimension CC Feedback Portal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I am generating the obj files myself, programmatically, (I'm writing the mesh into the obj text file), loading this single .obj file with all these objects did not allow to manipulate the objects in Dimension.

What worked for me was to load all of them in Blender 3D and then to save them in Blender as a single obj file (which seems to make the objects distinct, unlike writing them as a single mesh of disconnected faces). Then loading the file saved by Blender in Dimension worked as suggested (each object became an independent item).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah this goes a bit beyond just import/export then.  If you're writing it programmatically yourself it's just a language issue with the .obj structure.  For example the Coffee Cup asset that ships with Dimension, if you open the .obj file in a text editor you'll see lines like this:

g MODEL_COFFEE_WITH_LID_PART_1

usemtl MODEL_COFFEE_WITH_LID_MATERIAL_1

g MODEL_COFFEE_WITH_LID_PART_2

usemtl MODEL_COFFEE_WITH_LID_MATERIAL_2

These lines beginning with "g" define the different 'groups' that are inside the .obj and each group is represented as a different object when loaded into an application like Dimension.  The second line usemtl says what corresponding material should be loaded with the group.

I'm not deeply familiar with writing .obj files but you'd need to change your scripting to account for the parts and 'group' them.  Most 3D programs do have this built into their export though (as the case with Blender likely).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines