Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to properly import obj files from rhino to dimension

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

im new in the 3D world. I'm desperately trying to import a simple polygon obj file from rhino to dimension but the object looks different from the original file in rhino. there is kind of a thin layer around the object so when I create an arched wall you dont see the arch in Dimension (maybe you see in the pictures).

Does someone know how to solve this issue? 

Thanks in advance!Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-23 um 00.01.54.pngBildschirmfoto 2020-10-23 um 00.01.45.png

Best,

Selina

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

looking at the 2nd image, your extrustion is missing i.e, you made it wrong mate

Rhino is software to design something you will actually make in real life.&. Dimension is to design a fake image which looks real... they work in different ways

p.s, if you need help fixing your models please share them and I'll take a swing at it but you are not the first person to hit these issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bolian so open the model in Photoshop, generate a UV map & export as wavefront Obj

Dimension will be able to read the model after that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! 

I created another model and now its kind of hollow, do you know why?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-24 um 20.07.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looking at the 2nd image, your extrustion is missing i.e, you made it wrong mate

Rhino is software to design something you will actually make in real life.&. Dimension is to design a fake image which looks real... they work in different ways

p.s, if you need help fixing your models please share them and I'll take a swing at it but you are not the first person to hit these issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I see. I worked with rhino the past Semester at school. Now I'm into the 3D semi surreal Trend so I'm trying to build environments in Adobe Dimension. I already created some and it worked well but I only used 3D walls etc from Adobe stock. Now I want to build my own 3D objects for the environments. If Rhino isn't the right way, what would you suggest me to use? 
thanks for your time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blender is free and able to make most shapes once you learn how to use the UI correct... that is what I recommend to new people just starting out

Photoshop is too old now but I still build with it because its what I like to use and Maya is ok for people that like Autodesk or need a dozen copies of X model

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines