• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Illustrator / Vector logo and build up

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - as the title suggests, I'm trying to import an already created vector logo (in illustrator) and import it into Dimension so that I can then build it up (extrude), apply materials to the face of it and then put it on a wall

Essentially, I'm trying to create a mock up of a metallic sign on the wall using the logo I have created

I've tried importing and simply pasting but nothing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can add ai files as materials... try this tutorial to walk you pass the basic options mate (files included)

Dimension for Illustrator users |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested that tutorial and it does work but there are two possible issues;

• he doesn't tell you why you should hold [shift]... is to make the design adjust evenly
  • also the Dimension ui shows -numbers which is bad design because the user can't put those same numbers into the panel ui i.e, only positive numbers are allowed and any negative will be reset to zero

Screenshot (134).png

overall the interface has improved and works better so have fun with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - thank you for trying to help but this isn't quite what I mean. I am comfortable with applying my designs to a 3D object as a material.

I am talking about bringing my logo into Dimension as a flat vector logo, and building it up to be a 3D object which I can then position on a wall to make it look like a metal sign

At the moment it is literally a flat 2D illustrator vector logo - I need to extrude it to make it look like a 3D physical object and then apply materials etc etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can make 3d models from a flat image but Dimension can not and Illustrator is not the right tool but you could send the vector into the cc library and open it in Photoshop as a way to convert it... the results will be poor ime so I would make it in Maya or Blender instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dimension isn't a modeling software, you can't build models inside it. There's no way to extrude a logo into a 3D shape.

If I recall, Strata 3D software has an easy one- or two-click function to extrude a vector file into a 3D model. Then you can save that OBJ and import it into Dimension to apply your materials & backgrounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can import your vector logo as a smart object in Photoshop and extrude it using the 3d option provided. You can then export it as an .obj file and import it on Dimention. It's a lot easier than it's sounds 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines