Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maya object and texturing

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new to this software, i would love to know what I am doing wrong or if it is something that is not supported.

I use latest Maya, export a selected item as .obj file.

I can load the .obj file and move it around and rotate and so on in Dimension. But i can't figure out how to load a texture for the item?

Can you load a texture that works for the whole item?

Can you export a texture file from Dimension to know where Dimension wants everything aligned?

And lastly i cant place any photos or objects in Dimension on this obj, it gives me an error message saying it cant use that image, i tried png. jpg, small, big, ai, eps but same.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

The error "Something went wrong during graphic placement" usually refers to an issue with the model, not the image.  If you're importing an .obj be sure that the object has UVs, that the UVs are relatively normal, in the 0-1 space, and not overlapping.

Regarding texture placement, there are two ways to apply textures/graphics.

1.  You can apply textures to the entire material.  Select the material and open the swatch next to the property to load an image.  You can use the texture controls to tile,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error "Something went wrong during graphic placement" usually refers to an issue with the model, not the image.  If you're importing an .obj be sure that the object has UVs, that the UVs are relatively normal, in the 0-1 space, and not overlapping.

Regarding texture placement, there are two ways to apply textures/graphics.

1.  You can apply textures to the entire material.  Select the material and open the swatch next to the property to load an image.  You can use the texture controls to tile, rotate, and offset textures.

2.  You can load a graphic as a decal which lays over the base material.  Just drag and drop a material onto an object to apply a decal.  Decals can be scaled, rotated, and positioned directly on the object.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeanette! I will look into it Sweet answer with video and all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeanette is smarter than me. At least when it comes to Dimension!

(Jeanette, for your amusement, and Nalfaren's embarrassment: Re: Place 2d on 3d not working  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahaha, thank you for pointing to the right place!  And you did a great job answering.  I didn't mention Adobe Capture!  Our two answers together is one pretty solid answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should hire me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines